Gearing up for a camping trip usually means you have a heap of stuff to pack, and many boxes to check, but you have to get yourself the best camping shoes possible for ultimate enjoyment.
Let’s face it; as much as you want to explore and take in the most beautiful scenes in the outdoors, coming back with an injury isn’t something you want. There’s no better way to keep your feet safe than with the right shoe for the job.
I know this is easier said than done, but don’t worry; in this post, I will be taking you through some of the best and most reliable shoes on the market so you can make the right choice depending on your destination and activities.
Note: As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I get a small commission from the seller at no cost to you, and you get a great deal. It’s a win-win, I hope you enjoy my article. Full Affiliate Disclosure Here
Take A Quick Glance At Our Top 12 Here
|Keen Women’s Whisper Sandal||Current Price|
|Keen Men’s Newport H2 Sandal||Current Price|
|Joomra Women’s Minimalist Trail Barefoot Shoes||Current Price|
|Oranginer Men’s Barefoot Shoes – Big Toe Box||Current Price|
|Vifuur Water Sports Shoes Barefoot Quick-Dry||Current Price|
|Atika Women Lightweight Outdoor Sandal||Current Price|
|Crocs Men’s And Women’s Classic Realtree Clog||Current Price|
|Myzero Water Surf Walking Shoes||Current Price|
|Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Lightweight Waterproof Shoe||Current Price|
|Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe||Current Price|
|Keen Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe||Current Price|
|Oboz Women’s Bridger 7 Waterproof Hiking Boot||Current Price|
Here Are Our Top 12 Descriptions
KEEN Women’s Whisper Sandal
- It’s very comfortable with a soft EVA footbed
- Well constructed to last a long time
- It’s a nice fit with a nice lacing system
- They fit nicely for a size 5 user
- Very lightweight at 8.8 ounces
- The sizing may be an issue so be sure to order your correct size in case of problems
First Impression: If you prefer open shoes that still get the job done, then go with this KEEN women’s whisper sandal. Its open design makes it perfect for that free feeling while ensuring the sole of your feet is safe.
And, it stays in place thanks to the secure-fit lace design that allows you to secure your shoe solidly on your feet and hit the road without any worries over those frustrating stops.
The synthetic sole is quite reliable on rough outdoor ground, and the non-marking rubber sole is nothing short of impressive as well. For comfort, the metatomical EVA footbed has got you covered with a soft feel, you can walk for miles in this shoe.
Versatile shoes are proven favorites of many satisfied Amazon customers. Over 15,000 in fact, 78% of whom give it a rating of 5stars from 5, No matter if you’re going into the city for a casual outing or hiking around your favorite park on a camping adventure, these shoes will take you there in comfort and style. Read my full review here.
KEEN Men’s Newport H2 Sandal
- The rubber sole delivers a reliable traction
- 100-percent polyester construction makes it strong but lightweight at only 14 ounces
- Easy to wash as it is machine-washable; just use a small detergent on a gentle cycle and air dry
- Eco anti-odor construction for beating odor and smells
- Great ridge support and shank for ultimate performance
- The shoe runs a tad small; you may have to order ½ a size larger
First Impression: Similar to the women’s sandals above, these too come with all the bells and whistles you would ask for in a comfortable outdoors shoe.
A bungee lacing system is easy to notice, easy to use, and helps secure the shoe tightly in place so you won’t have to adjust it constantly along the way. It also has a contoured arch design that ensures ideal support for your feet and is just as comfortable.
Besides, you can’t go wrong with the rubber sole, which ensures a great deal of traction to keep you safe and on your feet even on sloped terrain. A metatarsal ridge support and a thermoplastic polyurethane shank guarantee an ideal strength and support.
JOOMRA Women’s Minimalist Trail Barefoot Shoes
- A minimalist drop design keeps your feet free for ultimate performance
- It has a reflective strip on the heel for safety on the road
- A wide toe box offers enough room for your toes
- Rubber sole has a reliable grip on various terrain
- The comfy, removable insoles allow for easier cleaning
- They run a bit small; you might consider ordering a size up for a perfect fit
First Impression: The wide toe box is one of the things that set this shoe apart, but this isn’t the only bit you’ll love about it.
It has a thick topline wrapped around your feet that keeps it in place even when used for rigorous activities and outdoor recreation. And the sole is just as impressive, with a rubber material offering you just the right traction and durability while still making it very responsive in the unpredictable outdoor terrain.
An outsole circular lug pattern gives it an outstanding grip, while the insoles have arches that distribute the weight over the ball of your foot. And yes, the insoles are removable too for washing when needed.
These are pretty lightweight shoes too, weighing just 10.58 ounces, and with the minimalist drop construction, you’ll be as comfortable as running barefoot.
Oranginer Men’s Barefoot Shoes – Big Toe Box
- Wide toe box design keeps your toes free
- The lack of any lacing allows your foot muscles to relax
- Mesh upper construction keeps it very breathable and flexible
- Super lightweight at just 10 ounces, you’ll hardly notice them
- The rubber sole is very durable
- These are quite slippery, which is kind of a bummer
First Impression: With a barefoot-inspired construction, this shoe is built to make you feel as comfortable as walking barefoot while still capable of counting on its protection.
It also boasts a wide toe box that keeps your toes relaxed and spread out as naturally as they would be without any shoe. This further helps maintain the right balance and stability on ascents and descents.
The lightweight, flexible design of the shoe is very remarkable too, with a mesh upper design cutting significantly on the weight while still being very breathable for hours of comfort. Then the insoles keep your feet dry on damp ground.
It’s also a versatile pair that you can use for anything from trail running to jogging; walks, demanding physical exercises or you can simply wear it as a water shoe.
VIFUUR Water Sports Shoes Barefoot Quick-Dry
- They are available in different sizes, even for small kids
- Very breathable and super quick to dry
- The high quality non-slip rubber sole offers the needed protection for your feet
- Very versatile, can be used for anything from Kayaking to swimming
- It’s also an all-season shoe that can take on almost any conditions
- The only downside to these shoes is that they might not be so great in rough inland conditions.
First Impression: For water sports, beach adventure, or other activities, go with this unisex pair and you won’t get disappointed.
The quick-dry of these shoes makes them perfect for use in moist conditions, and they are built to withstand the demanding conditions in a damp environment. You can also count on the rubber outsole for your foot’s safety from any prickly objects.
With a breathable, smooth fabric upper, these shoes are super flexible and comfy, not to mention the fine stretch upper for an ideal fit. Then you have the smooth neck design that keeps the shoe from chaffing in use and makes it easy to wear or take off.
Then there’s the versatile performance that makes this pair ideal for swimming, on the beach, sailing, boating, and many more aqua adventures.
ATIKA Women Lightweight Outdoor Sandal
- A closed-loop lacing construction with an easily adjustable bungee tab
- It has a padded inner lining with two Velcro straps for a snug fit
- Fits firmly while leaving enough room in the toe box
- Shock-absorbing EVA midsoles and a 3D build for best comfort
- Rubbed multi-traction design for taking on various terrain
- They are a bit expensive
- The back strap can be slightly uncomfortable for some
First Impression: The ATIKA Women Athletic sandal is built for comfort and adventure, with a solid construction that makes it withstand the outdoors while still keeping your feet very cushioned.
Its 3-layer front toe protection is at hand to offer your toes that extra bit of protection you can hardly find with other shoes. These include the PU mid hybrid toecap, an inner layer synthetic upper, and an outer rubber at the bottom portion.
The sole is a solid rubber that gives you the best cushioning against the rough, uneven ground while still ensuring a reliable grip. It’s also very true to size, but for users with wider feet who might need to get ½ a size up.
Crocs Men’s and Women’s Classic Realtree Clog
- Very easy on your feet but still offer great comfort
- The solid grip makes them ideal for varying terrain conditions
- Non-odor design is great too if you like shoes that keep your feet smelling fresh
- Non-marking synthetic sole with ideal support and cushioning
- Super easy to wear and take off
- The synthetic sole might not be as durable as rubber
First Impression: If you love open shoes, then you need to try out these Crocs men’s and women’s classic shoes with their simple, open, intuitive design.
The Croslite material has just about anything you would ask in an open shoe. It’s not only odor-resistant, but it’s also very comfortable, and of course, easy to wear or slip off of your feet. When it comes to the use, they offer a superior-gripping that helps keep you on your feet.
Lightweight would be an understatement with these crocs, they are super lightweight at well under 9 oz, which makes them perfect for most outdoor activities like hiking, boating, and other recreational activities.
The soft, yet comfy construction is perfect for ideal support that you would be hard-pressed to find on most other shoes out there. And of course, there’s the camouflage print too, which makes them blend in nicely with nature.
MAYZERO Water Surf walking Shoes
- Convex dots on the outer sole for a solid grip
- An elastic lacing design allows you to set it for a perfect fit
- Soft and breathable honeycomb-design midsole for comfort
- Thick wide toe design for perfect toe protection
- A unisex design and versatile performance makes them ideal for most outdoor activities
- May become a bit smelly in hot weather
First Impression: If you have your eyes set on the beach, then grab this pair and enjoy the comfortable yet protective performance that they offer.
This comes from the comfy and breathable fabric upper that keeps your feet cool even on hot days. Then you have the wide toe design that allows your toes to stretch out and be free with a comfortable space for movement.
A quick-dry design goes a long way to make these shoes perfect for use in wet conditions, thanks to drainage holes at the bottom of the outsole for letting the water out and air in. Also, the durable rubber sole is perfect for various terrain conditions, with a solid grip and comfortable cushioning for your feet.
Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Lightweight Waterproof Shoe
- Waterproof seam-sealed construction
- Breathable mesh parts and durable tongue
- The fit is true to size and you can adjust the lacing
- Convenient lacing design for easy use
- Ankle-high shaft and a 10-inch platform
- A little bit heavier at up to 13 ounces
First Impression: For those seeking to take the unbeaten trail, this Coleman Women’s waterproof shoe will suit you better in unpredictable outdoor conditions.
Not only is it great at keeping your feet dry, but it also boasts an advanced lace-up closure that allows you to adjust it as needed for that snug, yet comfortable fit. A combination of soft, mesh upper design mesh tongue makes this shoe very breathable. Then it has a full-grain leather with seam-sealed construction making it solidly waterproof.
An Omni-grip rubber sole gives it multi-terrain traction that guarantees a solid footing on varying grounds. There’s even a dual-zone winter tread pattern for a solid grip on ice and snow.
Superior cushioning and mid-cut design of the boot makes it ideal for the outdoors and these are just a few of the features that make this a highly rated best-seller on Amazon for the ladies. A great shoe that you can comfortably wear throughout the day.
Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe
- Made with 100-percent suede leather
- Vibram traction with 5mm lug depth
- The boot opening is about 6” so it’s easy to put on and take off
- Mesh sections for ideal breathability
- Integrated cushion pod for support
- It is slightly on the heavy side
First Impression: The Merrell Men’s 2 vent shoe is built for hiking, and of course, other outdoor adventures. Thanks to its solid rubber sole and stout construction, you can count on this boot to keep you comfortable yet safe.
The pigskin leather upper with some mesh gives you the best combination of breathability while still keeping moisture out. It also has a closed-cell foam tongue that works great along those lines too.
A protective rubber toe cap keeps your toes safe in the unforgiving outdoor terrain, and the heel is protected by a Vibram Merrell air cushion at the sole for shock absorption and stability.
Then it has EVA foam midsoles for the best comfort as well as a nylon arch shank. These are excellent all-around camping and hiking shoes extremely popular and the number one best-seller hiking shoe on Amazon. Read my full review here.
KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe
- A cushioned collar offers ideal, soft cushioning around the ankle
- Built with 100-percent leather material for durability
- Rubber sole with reliable lug design for traction, and a reliable toe protection
- The EVA footbed is removable for easy cleaning
- S3 heel support helps prevent ankle injury
- It runs ½ a size small, so you might have to get a larger size to fit you snugly
First Impression: From the waterproof performance to the ideal traction it offers, this boot is built for the outdoor lover, and it has what it takes to keep you moving.
The breathable yet waterproof membrane is awesome at letting the vapor out while keeping water from getting inside. Then it has a solid lug outsole that offers the traction you need on gravel, mud, or even sand.
An external stability shank brings onboard the needed support for better mobility and torsion control on ascents, descents, and uneven ground. At 16.64 oz it is one of the heaviest of our list but this one sports some serious features for a more adventurous explorer
Its internal support mechanism is just as impressive, with ideal arch support and a perfect cradle that supports the form of your foot. For even more support and cushioning, it also has a removable dual-density EVA footbed. Overall an excellent shoe for all outdoor adventures.
Oboz Women’s Bridger 7 Waterproof Hiking Boot
- A TPU chassis for comfort and support
- The rubber sole offers great traction and cushioning on uneven ground
- Customized midsoles for ideal support and
- They are not only waterproof and breathable but also super warm
- Convenient toecap keeps your toes safe
- They are a bit narrow, and can easily run smaller
First Impression: As we wrap up on this list, let’s look at one more shoe that blends comfort and support for those colder climates. Ladies will love the warm soft design.
It comes with a molded rubber toe cap that gives you ideal protection for your toes and gives you a lasting service. The shoe is also waterproof, with a nubuck leather upper that keeps your foot safe and free from moisture.
However, it’s also very breathable, with membranes that let the vapor out, and still keeps your feet warm. A high-density EVA with a sculpted arch gives your feet the much-needed support, as well as a heel cup for more stability and support.
It also has EVA pods that add shock absorption as well as a rebound, and the top layer has felt wool for ultimate comfort on those cold mornings moving around camp preparing the day ahead.
My Top Picks
Best Women’s Open Shoe — KEEN Women’s Whisper Sandal
Why: Nothing quite says comfort as this simple open shoe. It’s built to allow you as much flexibility as you need while keeping your feet protected from the ground, pebbles, and rocks.
Best Budget Shoe — VIFUUR Water Sports Shoes Barefoot
Why: Costing just $13, this shoe is one of the most affordable options you can find out there. But the best thing about is the value it offers, you still get a shoe that you can count on for aqua adventure despite the low price.
Best Croc Style Shoes — Crocs Men’s and Women’s Classic Realtree Crog
Why: If you love crocs, then this one is for you, the soft feel of this shoe, its non-marking design, and the sheer comfort you get with it are nothing short of impressive. Besides, it’s super easy to wear, take off, and clean.
Best Camping/Hiking Shoes — Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe
Why: If you are setting out for a hike deep into the wild, then you need a shoe that can take anything the outdoors can throw at it, and this Merrells hiking boot is the one for the job. From the solid lugs for ultimate traction to breathability, all-around capability, and the ideal support, it has it all.
Questions And Answers
Question: Which is the best camping shoe for me?
Answer: This will depend on several factors, mostly the destination that you have in mind and the activities you intend to participate in. This list contains excellent shoes for most situations you will find yourself. The Merrell Moab 2 will take care of most tasks with ease as will the Keen shoes these are exceptional quality overall.
If you are fishing a creek or walking the beach the open sandals or the Crocs are the way to go. These are lightweight and quick-drying able to provide comfort and protection while doing any daily task in or near your camp or fishing spot.
Question: Are these shoes expensive?
Answer: Not at all! Most of the shoes I have listed here cost in the range of $30-$100. This isn’t too costly considering the comfort and support, you can get with a good outdoors shoe, not to mention the durability.
Once again, this will depend on your choice of destination and activities, but for the serious outdoors person who loves to challenge our great wilderness spending $200-$300 is not an over high expense for the benefits you get in safety and protection.
What To Look For When Buying
The main reason you would spend money on a camping shoe is to keep your feet protected from the unforgiving ground in the outdoors. As such, the sole should be solid enough to take on the punishing gravel, jagged rocks, and thorns while keeping your feet safe. While being at the beach of course would require a much lighter shoe to have the same protection.
From the sole to the footbed, every bit of support for your legs possible is worth considering. This will help keep you on the trail for longer and make the trip easier on your legs. Maybe your choice of outdoor adventure means you’ll be carrying along heavy camping gear, having the right support can help big time.
Just because you need a solid outdoors shoe doesn’t mean it has to be uncomfortable. Such comfortable features as midsoles, breathable mesh for letting out vapor, and keeping your feet fresh also count. But that’s not all; warmth and ideal cushioning also help make your trip more fun. From a simple sandal to a top-of-the-range full-on hiking shoe comfort is the one area you cannot afford to miss.
Many things can go wrong in the outdoors, and in most cases, your feet are the most vulnerable. Wearing any type of cover on our feet are mostly for protection and comfort. Your shoe thus needs to be solid enough to protect your feet from any hard objects outdoors. The soles should also have enough grip to keep you from slipping, and extra protection from the toecap helps keep your toes safe too.
Here’s A Tip Or Two
- All of the shoes listed above will provide great service for many years, however some maintennce will extend that life even futher. Simply wash any rubber open stlye sandals in water then storing in a dry place will help enormously.
- With enclosed shoes follow the manufacturers instructions to gain the longest useful life. Your choice of destination and ebnvironment will largly determine what shoe suits you best .
I have a special mention for a shoe that stands out as an excellent all-round camping hiking casual outdoor shoe and unless you are in extreme environments this one will perform well during many outdoor activities. They are the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe.
As casual shoes around camp, they are light and comfortable and can easily be worn all day. No need to look for footwear every time you do something different throughout the day. On a hike, they are stable and sturdy and will keep your feet well protected.
One question that is common is are these shoes waterproof the answer is no, and when wetting a line trying to catch dinner don’t worry about stepping into the creek, while the ventilators are not waterproof they will dry out quickly on a sunny day. There in the image below.
Choosing your perfect shoe from the best camping shoes on the market doesn’t have to be a daunting feat. Having done our research we have put together what we believe are some of the best picks out there, all you have to do now is go ahead and make your choice.
Whether you are heading for the beach, on a camping trip, or seeking to enjoy a memorable kayaking voyage, you should easily find a shoe that fits the bill for your adventure.
Grab the best shoe for your needs, and hit the road with confidence the next time you head out on a quest for adventure. For more lightweight shoes and boots for camping and hiking check out my post titled Best Lightweight Hiking Shoes.