Create delicious smokey charcoal flavors on the best charcoal grills for 2021. A charcoal grill is one of those essential pieces of equipment that truly says summer, nothing quite beats the enjoyment of outdoor cooking.
So if you are doing a bit of research to find the best grill for you and your family then you have come to the right page.
Now, stick around take your time and come with us as we light up the flames and take you through some of the best charcoal grills available.
Buyers Guide To Choosing The Best Charcoal Grill.
The weight of the grill will determine its suitability for transporting and carrying it any distance or what type of vehicle you have may also govern the best option to your individual circumstances.
The best charcoal grills in this list range in weight from 9 pounds through to a hefty 112 pounds.
The latter being the amazing Car-Griller Outlaw which suits a larger outdoor team gathering or multiple people while also very suitable for use on the patio at home.
The 9-pound outdoor portable grill would be a great little companion for just a couple, you and your partner, or a couple of pals. Much easier to carry just throw it in the trunk of the car.
The area you have to work with is a very important consideration in choosing the best grill for you and your family, and once again your own personal requirements will determine this factor also.
Are you feeding the whole troop or just your own small family? Where and when are you using the grill are also factors that will play a role in your purchasing decision.
This best charcoal grills list contains a variety of brands and each brand has its individual design features, each one unique in their own way.
The durability factor is quite high on each of these units, they all have a high level of quality within their build and all will perform well if simply maintained and stored out of the weather.
The grate is the part that is the most harshly treated as this is where the heat and flames are largely focused, so this part needs to be or good quality to allow the grill to be usable for many years.
Cast iron is a great product as is the newer porcelain-coated grates now available these should give you the confidence that the grill will have a very long life indeed.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I earn a small commission, you get a great deal. It’s a win-win. As the owner and editor of this site, I hope you enjoy this top-rated product review. Full Affiliate Disclosure Here
Here Is My List Of Best Charcoal Grills
1. Weber Original 22-Inch Kettle
My Initial Thoughts: Here’s a grill you can hardly help falling for, the super-easy setup is one thing that is sure to get you glued to this one. But that’s not all there is to it, as it still has a whole list of impressive features. Also, this could be the best charcoal grill under $200
Let’s start with the grilling area. With up to 363 square inches of cooking area, this grill offers sufficient room that can take on your entire meal at once. Cooking doesn’t get faster than when you have a grill that can take an entire meal on a single bite.
Control the heat.
This amazing grill has a built-in thermometer so you are kept up to date throughout the cooking process plus the adjustable dampers allow you to control the heat generated so as to keep that roast cooking to perfection.
Portability is a crucial element when carrying a grill if you are an adventurer.
- Weights 32 pounds, freestanding 363 sq in of cooking area, and has durable wheels for extra easy mobility.
- Among the best options you can turn to, it is compact, easy to carry around and talking of the setup, you can be sure to have it ready in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.
This is a grill that has proven itself over many years. It has a very high rating from a large following, and after owning and using this grill I also rate it highly, and I highly recommend this very good grill built in the USA. Check it out further on our in-depth review here Weber 22 inch grill Review
2. Weber Jumbo Joe Portable Grill
My Initial Thoughts: The first thing that you will notice about this grill is its wide cooking grate. Not only is the cooking surface wide enough, but the grate is also made of plated steel that gives you even heat distribution and durability.
Another exciting feature here is the ash catcher and the dampers. These feature rust-resistant aluminum material that goes the distance to ensure durability. So you can count on them for long-term use.
- The bowl and lid have something outstanding too. Being made of a porcelain-enameled material, these ones are not only robust enough for the job, but they are also every bit as durable too.
- Still, on the lid, the last thing you want is burnt fingers after a camping trip. You don’t have to; this one comes with a handle fitted with a heat shield, making it safe for easy handling.
Weighing in at only 22 pounds, and featuring a single hold handle, this grill is not only large enough for your needs. It also proves to be compact enough and well designed for easy portability.
You will have no problem with transporting and storing, this is also a more affordable option for people and does the job nicely.
3. Outdoor Portable Grill
My Initial Thoughts: Next on our list of the best charcoal grills is this impressive grill that too gets the job done perfectly.
It is lightweight but strong enough to take a bit of work, its rust-resistant material is truly worth going for, but it’s in the collection of its features that makes this grill a contender.
Perhaps the first feature you’ll come to love about this grill is the X-shape design. Not only is it very stable but also very compact and portable. 230 square inches of cooking area is a nice large working space that gives you plenty of conveniences, it doesn’t get better than when you have ample working area for your cooking.
- You can easily cook for up to 4 or 6 people, hassle-free and when your done cooking the after-party cleanup can be a relatively easy task.
- As well as the simple fold up and assemble, this grill is super easy to clean, so you don’t have to struggle with the cleaning part.
Rust-Resistant stainless steel material is what you need for a robust, heavy-duty grill, this one is not only built for the heavy lifting but also should last for years.
It also comes with a range of other exciting features as wire mesh panels and air vents on both sides. What’s more, a foldable design goes a long way when it comes to easy portability and storage.
4. Pinty Portable Charcoal Grill
My Initial Thoughts: With durable material and construction, you know that’s a good start for the real deal.
This stove has a good rating with Amazon and quite a few good comments I think for under $60 this is a very good small grill for a small family or group of friends out for the day. With up to 250 square inches of cooking space, it can take on the burgers or kebabs with ease.
Keep your hands safe with heat-resistant handles, you can be sure you won’t pay the price for a tasty barbecue with burning your hands, what’s more, Along with a porcelain-enameled cooking grate for even heat, the grill is quite sturdy and well built which means you should get long service form this unit
- And this grill isn’t done yet, it also has a much convenient easy storage as well as transportation. A compact size and foldable design make it a perfect fit for use on the go.
- Lightweight construction at only 9 lbs also adds to the portability of this grill, which can be a big plus too.
Very important, is the fact as many as 7 air vents on either side work their magic. These are essential for discharging dust as well as offering crucial ventilation for better cooking.
An easy cleaning solution is always an advantage that not many can turn their backs on. With that in mind, the manufacturer equipped this grill with a dust-proof surface making cleaning a breeze.
5. Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
My Initial Thoughts: This grill has everything you would look for in this type of equipment.
It’s another budget Grill that is compact and simple to use and won’t break the bank, great for a day out with friends or a grill up in the back yard. Let’s look at the features. The plated steel legs are easy to move so you can secure the lid. This puts the whole unit in an ideal position, giving you an easy time transporting it.
Its lid comes with a glass-reinforced nylon handle. For a grill that you can handle with ease even when it is in use, this feature truly proves handy then there’s the rectangular cooking grate. Featuring plated steel, the 160 square inch grate is both durable and wide enough for your grilling needs.
- Another great thing about this grill is its two adjustable dampers with up to three vent holes on each. These are essential for keeping the airflow at an optimum range all through your cooking.
- To keep rusting and fading at bay, this grill comes with a porcelain-enameled coating.
This keeps it in top shape and goes a mile further to enhance its durability too. The other thing that makes this grill truly outstanding is that you don’t need to assemble it. You only need to flip the legs up to cover the lid, holding both the top and its bottom together.
6. Char-Griller 2137 Outlaw Grill
My Initial Thoughts: If you want to take your grilling a notch higher, then this one is for you. It secures a place on our list for good reasons.
The design and construction are breathtaking, but the best part is in the features. The heavy-gauge steel offers a robust construction that you can really count on but that’s not all yet.
It also boasts a double bottom design that adds to its durability, serving you for years on end. Its grates are also something to reckon with. Made of cast iron, they store an ideal, even heating that you can hardly find in most grills out there. And the best part yet? Well, it also offers an unbeatable flavor, which is a big plus too.
- One more thing you are sure to love about this grill is the control that it gives you. Its adjustable fire grate, as well as a heat gauge, goes the distance to offer outstanding heat control.
- All you need to do is move the grate up or down according to where you want it.
To add to the list of features that rank this grill among the best options is the easy cleanup and storage. And this boils down to its ideal design, size, and construction. And most of all, there’s the sturdy round legs for support. Tent Camping with this griller has never been so much fun.
7. Round Yakatori Charcoal Grill
My Initial Thoughts: This list won’t be complete without this rather intriguing grill, which also offers more than enough reasons to fall in love with.
Its construction is outright amazing, and that’s just part of it. Still, it has a hoard of exciting features that may be to your liking, let’s have a look.
If you want to take charge of your cooking, then the adjustable ventilation design in this grill is definitely for you. This helps you keep the heat at the level that best works for you. Turn up the heat or reduce it according to how fast you want to cook.
- The handmade clay makes is yet another thing worth paying attention to. And while you might think this construction makes the grill flimsy, it is in fact very robust.
- This design gives it an outstanding even heat distribution and unique cooking capability.
A large cooking surface is something no outdoors person can pass on. With this grill sporting this much-needed design, it offers an impressive space that you can use to place your items. If a little convenience goes a long way for you, then this is it.
Above all, the Yakatori Grill goes above and beyond when it comes to saving on charcoal. With only about a 25-pound bag of lump charcoal or 12 coals, you can cook virtually everything you want to prepare.
8. Weber Smokey Joe Portable Grill
My Initial Thoughts: Another on our list is one of the best charcoal grills and one that is definitely worth a hard look.
It not only boasts unparalleled durability but also comes with an array of features that you would really find handy. This one is great for yourself or with another person, it is the budget grill of this list.
First up, this grill sports a compact, lightweight design. This is exactly what you would look out for if you are shopping for a grill to use on the go. With this design, you can confidently bring this grill along without it taking too much space or weighing you down.
- Also enough to hold up to 4 burgers at a time with this cooking area available, you can have faster and more comfortable cooking.
- The bowl and lid comprise of a porcelain-enameled material which goes a long way when it comes to heat retention and durability.
- Not only is it great at keeping heat, but it also doesn’t peel or rust easily.
Then you also have the plated steel grate that keeps the heat for longer. This is a simple little grill that will cook a few burger patties or a couple of small steaks.
It is just perfect for you and your partner on a sunny Sunday in the park. Read our in-depth review of the Smokey Joe Weber Grill.
9. Weber 22-Inch Charcoal Grill
My Initial Thoughts: If you are serious about taking your outdoor cooking experience to the next level, then this grill is for you. This old long term favorite comes with almost any feature you would ever ask for, what’s more, it packs into an ideal construction.
The first thing and one you can’t help but love about this grill is the easy cleanup. Thanks to its One-Touch cleaning system, cleaning it after use is all the way hassle-free. Just wipe any debris or ash on the unit to an ashtray, easy and simple. Besides, the ashtray is rust-resistant, which makes it both easy to clean and durable.
Take charge of the heat control feature. The good news is, you can do this simply without having to take off the lid. A simple adjustment on the damper does the trick. Close them to reduce the oxygen flow, and put out the heat, open them to increase airflow and heat.
Large cooking surface
Its cooking grates are downright amazing too. It’s not only built for durability but also offers easy cleanup. The ability to withstand high temperatures makes it great for direct and indirect grilling as well.
- Then there’s a large surface area, with up to 363 square inches of cooking space. And there’s yet another exciting thing about this aspect.
- With impressive heat retention, the grate is also ideal for even heat distribution, giving you the necessary consistency in grilling. Add a porcelain-enameled lid and the bowl alike, this grill is perfect at heat retention.
The wheels are invaluable when it comes to moving your grill around. Both heavy-duty and durable, these offer super easy transportation of your grill wherever you want it to go, add to this list that the lid handle has a heat shield, so your hands are kept safe.
10. Char-Griller Patio Charcoal Grill
My Initial Thoughts: If space is not on your side, don’t let that stop you from enjoying a great grilling experience.
This grill has what it takes to get the best of both worlds, thanks to its high performance and compactness. The first thing you will fall in love with is the extra storage.
If you have more burgers and less space, then you will find the side shelf on this grill very handy. The same goes when it comes to keeping your charcoal within reach. With a storage rack beneath, this grill ensures a convenient way for keeping your essentials.
For the super-easy movement of your grill, you will need a design that makes things smooth. Thankfully, this unit comes with wheels that go the distance to ensure you don’t have to struggle. Simply pull the grill along or push it to where you need it.
Cast iron is excellent
Despite the small footprint, the cooking surface on this grill never disappoints. With an impressive 250 square inches, you have more than you would ever ask for. You can now get the best grilling experience by cooking several items at once.
- With heavy-duty steel as well as powder-coated construction, this unit is built for durability. It also features a tough, cast iron that can withstand high temperatures.
- The materials in this grill are ideal for high-level performance and durability alike, truly worth every penny.
Then there are the dampers. With easy adjust-ability, these give you all the control you need for even cooking of your meals. You can simply increase the heat by opening the dampers or reduce it by closing them, cooking has never been more fun.
11. Char-Griller Deluxe Charcoal Grill
My Initial Thoughts: Here’s yet another grill worth checking out. With a range of exciting features, this one stands out when it comes to performance and ease of use.
First off, it boasts robust cooking grates. Made of cast iron, these grates are all you would go for if you want is nothing short of heavy-duty performance and durability.
Besides, the grates feature up to four lift-able sections that give you easy access to the coal beneath, Cast iron is a terrific surface on which to cook the perfect steak. Beware at 100 pounds it is not a lightweight
Storage is of the essence when it comes to grilling. So this grill comes with side and bottom shelves that go the distance to offer exciting storage for your stuff. It also features a front rack for sauce or spices.
Big and Beautiful
You can hardly ever go wrong with this one as far as storage goes. The other thing that will catch your eye is the wide cooking space. At 850 square inches, it offers enough space to work on for easy cooking.
- Want to take absolute control of your grilling, then here’s something for you. First, the adjustable dampers let you take charge of the level of heat you want to cook your meals properly.
- The fire grate is also adjustable, as you can raise or lower it to set the heat how far you want it from the food.
- Once the party is over, you still have an easy and fun time with the cleanup.
- Thankfully, this grill comes with an ash pan that ensures easy cleaning.
- All you have to do is pull it off from the grill side and dispose of the accumulated ash. The grates itself is also super easy to clean too.
You can’t afford to pass on a few other aspects that make this grill outstanding. It also comes with solid construction with heavy-steel material and powder-coated finish.
Wooden side shelf and hooks for utensils, then the 8-inch wheels for an easy time when moving it around.
12. Char-Griller Table Top Grill
My Initial Thoughts: One of the features that set this grill apart from the cheap options is the durable construction. Built for high profile performance and lasting use, it comes with a heavy steel material with a powder coating that makes it tough.
The cooking grates feature a cast iron for ultimate performance and durability. Versatility is the other thing that makes this grill outmatches the competition. You can use it as a side firebox by attaching it to a Char-Griller barrel grill.
But it also comes in handy as a grill for tabletop cooking. Whichever style works best for you, this grill will take you there, and at 40pounds give easy maneuverability.
- You will also come to love the sliding drawer, this ensures you can access the ashes as well as the coal with great ease.
- Along with the ash pan, you have all you would ask for if you want a grill that offers ease of use.
- Besides, this design offers an exciting, fun, and easy cleaning too.
The handle stays cool no matter how hot the grill itself gets. The good thing about a stay-cool handle is that it offers an impressive control of your cooking.
But there’s an even better way that this grill enables you to take charge, the heat control. With two adjustable dampers, you can set the heat, as you want it.
13. Weber Deluxe Charcoal Grill
My Initial Thoughts: If there’s one grill out there that truly says summer, it has to be this one. With a collection of features, it takes the party to a whole new level, Let’s start with the ignition.
Thanks to a special Touch-N-Go design, this grill uses an exciting electronic and gas ignition mechanism, with this design, all it takes to get the charcoal ignited is just the push of a button.
Then it also has a timer that ranks it above most grills in its tier the backlit LCD timer is mounted on the worktable, where it is easy to access. You will find this very handy for setting the time for preheating and grilling needs.
It is also removable in case you don’t need it. Another thing this grill boasts is a built-in thermometer, which also proves handy for keeping an eye on the heat inside.
Its cleaning system is also something worth a hard look. It all comes down to the One-Touch hassle-free cleanup design. It comes with a spacious removable ash catcher.
- So you can easily and simply clean your grill by wiping any ash or debris into the pan and disposing of it properly.
- Storage shouldn’t be much of a problem when using this grill. You can make the most out of its CharBin container to keep your charcoal safe from the elements.
- And it ensures that your charcoal stays within reach whenever you need it.
More outstanding features include the ability to withstand high temperatures and an ample workspace at 363 square inches. You can’t help loving the precision heat control as well as the easy portability, this is a real classy unit and would look great sitting on your patio.
14. Char-Griller Kamado Kooker
My Initial Thoughts: It doubles as a grill and a smoker. And it comes with a wide range of features that are worth checking out, first up, it features an exciting large cooking area.
It has up to 314 square inches on the main cooking space and a warming rack measuring up to 133 square inches so in total this grill boasts an overall 447 square inches in space.
It also comes with a remarkable construction. The body features an outstanding 22 gauge steel with a powder coating on the outside. The inside is made of steel and coated in porcelain. In all aspects, this grill is built for the long haul and at 91 pounds it won’t move.
Control and efficiency.
Efficiency is yet another thing that this grill has well built-in and in terms of performance its a real contender.
- With high heat retention, it is capable of using less charcoal. Besides, the folding side shelves design ensures less airflow, which means better grilling performance.
- The kamado grilling is yet another thing that sets this grill in its own class. With this grilling style, you can do just about anything from searing your meat to low roasting.
- This grill also comes with an array of other remarkable features. These range from simple heat control to large 8-inch wheels for easy use and transportation.
You can’t afford to pass on the large grilling space, measuring up to 314 square inches, and with the removable warming rack at 133 square inches.
The folding side shelf with utensil hooks is also great, then there are the top and bottom dampers for airflow temperature control. Overall this is a nice grill that is a little bit different so read my in-depth review Char Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker Review
Simply The Best Grill Overall: Weber Original 22-Inch Kettle
Best Personal Portable Grill: Weber Smokey Joe Portable Grill
Best Large Freestanding Grill: Weber Deluxe Charcoal Grill
We take the view that any of these best charcoal grills can make the best grill for you, for us we have our picks and will share them below, however, it all boils down to a matter of personal choice.
Which grill suits you best and provides the most convenience and value, what do you need it to do, how many people are you cooking for, and so on.
With the right grill, you can cook beautiful food for your family and loved ones, you have the stage set for many happy outdoor family gatherings. Camping in the woods or at the beach will never be the same as it is with a quality charcoal grill.
Poolside with the friends, evenings on the patio, tailgating, camping backyards or any other party will be catered for with the diversity in our top grills collection, one of these will certainly offer something for everyone. So go for the one that best fits your needs and let the party begin!
If you have any more questions about the Best Charcoal Grills, I’ll be more than happy to answer them in the comments section below.
Remember, leave it cleaner than you found it, only footprints not rubbish