There’s virtually no more convenient way to be ready to trudge in the outdoors when the winter storms hit hard than with some of the best winter boots for men.
And while you may never prepare enough for the extreme conditions that this season brings, it pays to have the right gear and here are some of the best options for you to choose from depending on your style, preference, and budget.
Danner Artic 600 Men’s Boot
- A suede upper is made of rich and long-lasting suede
- Its semi-locking side-zip design makes this boot easy and fast to get in and out of
- The Danner Dry lets out moisture while keeping water from getting inside the boot
- The low profile of this boot makes it versatile for both on trail and urban
- Its footbed is removable, which gives you a great deal of flexibility
- Will be quite expensive for some people
My Initial Thoughts: First on our list is a boot designed to get through some of the toughest winter conditions and beyond.
It comes with three layers of different densities, which are combined to give you maximum cushioning and a great deal of support as well.
We particularly loved the open-cell polyurethane design of the entire footbed, which offers awesome heat dissipation as well as allowing air circulation.
For extra cushioning, enhanced rebound and support, there’s a rubberized EVA midsole, which is also very robust and doesn’t break down easily so you can count on its durability too.
- On the outside is the sole, built with your need for a firm step in mind.
- As such, it features flex lines, a split heel, and a Vibram Arctic Grip made of rubber.
- The super traction that this design offers allows you to walk confidently even on wet snow and nasty icy conditions.
Waterproof is the one thing you don’t want to miss on a winter boot, and that’s the other thing this one doesn’t disappoint at, as it comes equipped with a Danner Dry waterproof design that keeps your feet dry.
Not forgetting, as well as having dry feet it also boasts a 200G PrimaLoft insulation that ensures your feet stay warm too. This is an excellent boot and one we like a lot.
We Scored This Product 4.7 from 5 Stars
Muck Boot Men’s Arctic Pro Snow Boot
- With 2mm foam under the foot, it’s very warm
- The rear pull loops make on and off operation a breeze
- Rubber sole with a rugged Bob-Tracker design
- A reliable neoprene for comfort and flexibility
- A great deal of traction and protection from the rubber sole
- The camouflage wears off quite fast
My Initial Thoughts: Here is another boot from Muck, which doesn’t have a shortage of great features also.
The first thing that makes this boot really worth the money is its 8mm neoprene, which is designed to offer you nothing short of comfort and flexibility.
Besides the great shock absorption of this feature, it also offers a remarkable level of heat retention.
And there’s more; what makes this boot great is that this feature is built to conform to the shape of your foot, thus preventing chafing and those nasty blisters you get from wearing boots for hours.
For extra warmth, it has a soft fleece lining that got you covered in extremely cold weather and is every bit as durable.
- What won us over is the 2 mm thermal foam placed under the boot’s footbed.
- This is designed to add an additional level of warmth, making this boot warm enough for comfort at minus 60-degrees F and to 30 degrees F.
- The sole also got the better of our attention, thanks to its high-grade (and rugged, durable Bob-Tracker) rubber design that gives it an impressive level of toughness.
- Besides, standing at awesome 17-inches, it offers the ultimate protection from jabs and moisture.
If there’s any other feature worth mentioning, it has to be the lightweight EVA midsole of this boot, which offers additional cushioning and the rear pull loops that offer easy on and off operation.
We Scored This Product 4.7 from 5 Stars
Kamik Men’s Hunter Boot
- It’s a high boot, which you can use even in deep snow
- An adjustable snow collar offers you both convenience and flexibility
- It’s also very warm, and waterproof enough to keep your feet comfortable
- Features the right combination of materials for ultimate performance
- It has insert insulation that you can remove during warm weather
- It tends to wear off quite easily
My Initial Thoughts: Another great hunter boot by Kamik, which is built to offer you the best protection when trekking the unbeaten path.
The height of these boots is the first thing that makes it outstanding right off the bat, as it is a knee-high boot, which means there’s no chance of snow or other stuff making their way inside the boot.
But that’s not the only ace this boot packs up its sleeve, as it also sports a great combination of 95% rubber and 5% nylon to give you reliable performance and durability.
Then the sole is made of synthetic, which kind of stands out from the other options we’ve looked at so far, and delivers an impressive performance too.
But that’s not all
- While at it, it’s worth mentioning that the heel is quite high at 1.25 inches.
- The boot opening measures about 15.5 inches around when open, and the platform is at around 0.75 inches.
- Waterproof is the other aspect Kamik doesn’t take chances with, which is where the great combination of materials and the height of this boot come into play.
- Besides, it also has an adjustable snow collar that offers you both protection and flexibility.
Another bit to keep in mind here is that this boot is designed to keep your feet comfy warm at extreme conditions in as low temperatures as -40 degrees F, thanks to the 8mm thermal guard liner that it comes with.
We Scored This Product 4.6 from 5 Stars
Columbia Men’s Bugaboot Plus III Omni Boot
- Tecklight midsoles for great comfort and lightweight
- Great cushioning for comfort over long hours
- Waterproof enough to keep your feet dry
- Easy to break in and very comfortable afterward
- The rubber sole is designed to offer that much-needed traction
- The laces aren’t as lasting as they could be
My Initial Thoughts: If you want an ankle-high boot, then this Columbia Men’s Bugaboot is for you.
And it comes with enough great features to earn a spot on this list, and where better to start than with the seam-sealed construction,
A design that gives this boot its impressive waterproof capabilities to enable this boot to keep your feet dry even when walking through slushy and muddy areas.
Keeping your feet warm is not only important for comfort, but it can also become very crucial in extreme conditions.
- That this is where the Omni-Heat reflective lining of this boot comes to the forefront with its 200g insulation to help trap in as much heat as possible even in below 20 conditions.
- As far as traction goes, you’ll have the rubber sole with Omni-Grip and non-marking design to count on when trudging wet and slippery grounds, which can be both difficult and risky to maneuver.
- When it comes to comfort, you won’t have to worry, as these boots feel great as long as you have the right size.
It’s true, you’ll have some breaking in to do, but once that’s over, this boot fits just fine. Besides, it also features laces that you can always adjust to find that perfect snug
And for durability, the materials come in to offer you the value you pay for with lasting service. Made of 100% leather and textile, and with the rubber sole, it is a long-lasting gear.
We Scored This Product 4.5 from 5 Stars
Vasque Men’s Ultradry Insulated Snow Boot
- Has a robust rubber sole with sufficient traction on wet ground
- Comfy EVA midsoles that are also very durable
- TPU shank for midfoot support and comfort
- The top is waterproof so your feet stay dry
- Great lacing with all metal hardware
- The heel pull loop is wide enough for a gloved finger
- It’s a quite stiff boot, needs some time to break-in
My Initial Thoughts: Vasque comes next on the list with a similarly wide range of great features as well.
Let’s start with the dual-density sole, made of rubber compound. But that’s not all; this sole also boasts a ColdHold Technology, which includes hard and biting perimeter lugs as well as soft center lugs.
This design, along with a molded rubber for the heel kick, offers the traction you need even on cold, slippery surfaces.
The midsole is also every bit as impressive, as it is built with molded EVA design for ultimate comfort for your feet.
- The midsole is responsible for that additional support you need for your midfoot, and this one comes with a TPU shank for that.
- Then there’s the upper, which is also equipped with just about everything you need to walk comfortably even during the unforgiving winter conditions.
- First off, it has a 200g Thinsulate insulation design that allows your feet to stay warm.
Then there’s the waterproof leather, which makes sure your feet stay dry when you’re out there.
The collar is padded, and then the lace-up closure further allows preventing water from making its way inside.
And most importantly, it has a pull-on loop at the back that allows you to secure the boot and prevent debris from getting in.
We Scored This Product 4.6 from 5 Stars
Muck Boot Arctic Excursion Men’s Ankle Boot
- Great waterproof design helps keep your feet dry
- Comfy midsoles also offer lots of support
- Low cut design is great for both the wild and urban use
- These boots are warm at up to -40degrees F
- Lightweight enough for those tough walks on the snow
- The rugged rubber soles offer great traction and durability
- Issues with the boot tab and collar ripping off easily
My Initial Thoughts: Here’s one from Muck, and as an ankle boot, it comes with a bit of versatility as you can use it both on the trail as well as in the urban.
Also, this low cut design works wonders during days with not-too-deep snow when there’s mud, slushy or wet conditions.
But what really caught our attention in this one is the 5mm neoprene, which offers sufficient flexibility as well as comfort. Also, this is great for heat retention as well as ideal shock absorption with every step.
Speaking of comfort, a fleece lining on this boot comes in very handy at that as it is soft, adds an outstanding comfort and warmth (from -40 degrees F to 40 degrees F) and is very durable too.
While still at it
- You won’t help but notice the sock liner that this boot comes with too, which helps reduce underfoot friction and any build-up of heat down there.
- And there’s more; the boot also sports fantastic 100% waterproof performance thanks to its high-grade extended rubber.
- For easy on/off operation, you can’t go wrong with rear pull tabs that this boot comes with, which add that last bit of convenience you would want in your winter boots.
Another great feature worth mentioning is just how lightweight these boots are, with a shipping weight of only 12 ounces, you can bet they are super lightweight for a long trail walk.
We Scored This Product 4.3 from 5 Stars
Vasque Men’s Snowburban II UltraDry Snow Boot
- It’s a robust boot with ideal waterproofing design
- Great insoles and lining help add warmth and support
- The rubber sole offers sufficient traction even on tricky ground
- Great lacing to find that perfect snug for your feet
- It’s also very lightweight despite the outstanding performance
- The throat is too narrow to make putting on or taking this boot of easy
My Initial Thoughts: Here comes Vasque again, with yet another snow boot that truly stands up to the challenge when it comes to protecting your feet against the harsh winter elements.
To start with the upper, you won’t help but love the 1.8mm waterproof performance that the leather on this boot delivers.
There’s also the 400g 3M design of the Thinsulate Insulation with a combination of moisture management lining along with waterproofing components to keep your feet dry.
Still, on the lining, this boot also boasts terry loop wool for the collar lining, which adds to its comfort and warmth.
Also worth mentioning
- The fact that this one features a longer shaft, measuring about 8 inches from the arch, unlike most of the boots we’ve discussed above which measure 7 inches.
- Over to the sole, you will come to love the great traction that the outsole lugs on this one offers.
- Thanks to its Razor Siping and the Vasque ColdHold Compound sole for ultimate traction you will enjoy complete grip on and wet surface.
Also, with the sole made of rubber, you can bet that it’s better suited at taking on most wet and slippery surfaces than most other materials.
Moreover, a molded rubber kick comes in to add to the convenience that this boot delivers.
We Scored This Product 4.4 from 5 Stars
Muck Boots Arctic Ice Mid-Height Men’s Boot
- Multi-direction lug design offers traction on diverse terrains
- As a 100% waterproof boot, it’s sure to keep your feet dry
- Midsole and soft lining fleece offer great support and comfort
- It also has rear pull loops that will make it easy to put on and take off
- Has a long shaft, about 12 inches from the arch
- These boots don’t retain heat for long; usually warm for about 20 to 30 minutes
My Initial Thoughts: Can’t wait for the winter to end before heading out on your adventure?
Well, this mid-height boot from Muck got just about everything you need to brace the rough conditions.
Traction is the first thing you need to be keen on when shopping for winter boots, and most likely the first thing that you will have your eye on.
So you will be well-positioned thanks to its Vibram Arctic Grip rubber sole, which is designed to deliver great traction on wet ice.
- The bottom comes with a Vibram IceTrek layer running across the entire base and multi-directional lug design, which offers a high level of traction on dry ice too.
- Then there’s the waterproof performance, which also counts a lot.
- But thanks to the 5mm neoprene construction of this boot, you not only get protection from water, but it also offers great shock absorption and helps retain heat, keeping your feet toasty warm.
A soft fleece lining further comes with that extra comfort and warmth that you would wish for in a winter boot, allowing this boot to be comfortable even in -40 degrees F and to 40 degrees F.
Other features worth mentioning include its extended and soft rubber coverage and flexible Spandura for additional protection as well as enhanced midsoles for extra support.
We Scored This Product 4.3 from 5 Stars
Timberland Men’s Mid Leather Wp Winter Boot
- Very lightweight, with each boot weighing 1pound 1 ounce
- Eva midsoles are lightweight without compromising the performance
- An anti-fatigue design allows you to walk for hours without discomfort
- The full-leather upper is very robust and comfortable
- A full-grain and seam-seal design offer unbeatable waterproof performance
- Issues with the boot falling apart after some time
My Initial Thoughts: As our list draws closer to an end, it’s time to meet this trail-ready boot from Timberland, which has a fair share of great features too.
Let’s start with the uppers, which are not only durable but also feature a full-grain and seam-seal construction that makes them very waterproof.
And for extra protection from snow and debris, it has a fully gusseted tongue. More importantly, the 100% leather design of this boot makes it one of the most durable options you will find out there.
Other design features
- Looking at the inside, it has an interior TPU shank that offers that torsional rigidity you’d ask for in a winter boot.
- What’s more, it boasts an anti-fatigue comfort technology that ensures comfort even when you have to wear this boot for hours.
- There’s also the compression-molded EVA design midsoles, which are not only lightweight but are also designed to offer you sufficient cushioning as well as shock absorption for walking the trails.
Now, onto the soles, the first feeling you get once you get hold of this boot is that it features a synthetic sole, which is quite robust, to begin with.
But to give that traction you need when walking on the tricky terrains of the outdoors, it has partially recycled rubber lug outsoles that ensure you can be confident with each step you take.
We Scored This Product 4.5 from 5 Stars
Sorel – Men’s LTR Waterproof Winter Boot
- Very comfortable midsoles for warmth and shock absorption
- Robust vulcanized rubber sole for a firm grip
- Great lacing design for that perfect, snug fit
- Tough leather upper is both waterproof and durable
- Felted inner liner help keep your toes warm
- These boots are a bit stiff but are easy to break-in
My Initial Thoughts: They are quite heavy, with the weight at around 4.4 pounds
The Sorel is a boot that is built with your love for the outdoors at heart, which is why it’s designed to brace even the toughest winter conditions.
And it all comes down to such features as the waterproof performance that it delivers, thanks to the full-grain leather construction and a seam-sealed design to ensure you never have to worry about your feet getting wet when out there.
For that perfect fit that every outdoors diehard would want on a boot, this one comes with a classic lace-up construction that allows you to adjust it to find that ideal snug fit for your feet.
Support and comfort
- Comfort is yet another thing you don’t have to give up on just to enjoy the scenic beauty of the outdoors when winter hits.
- This boot’s midsole takes care of that with that extra insulation you need when walking for hours.
- Also, it has 9 mm recycled felt inner that adds extra warmth, and is removable and washable.
Traction is the last thing you want to get wrong when choosing a winter boot, and thankfully, this one doesn’t disappoint as it comes with a vulcanized rubber sole herringbone outsole that offers an unmistakable grip, making every step you take steady and solid.
We Scored This Product 4.6 from 5 Stars
Korkers Men’s Polar Vortex 600g Winter Boots
- Features a completely waterproof upper
- Two interchangeable soles for different conditions
- Very breathable leather for comfort
- Reliable Thinsulate for comfort and support
- Offers a perfect snug
- Some boots don’t come with both pairs of interchangeable soles
My Initial Thoughts: Last on this list is a winter boot that is every bit worth a look, as it comes with a wide array of great features too.
The first thing that we looked closely at is the OmniTrax 3.0 changeable tread sole system, which allows you to pick the ideal one for different conditions, giving you that flexibility you won’t get with most boots.
These include a SnowTrac lug for wet ice winter conditions and an IceTrac for dry ice.
Other features include
- The upper also does a great job of protecting your feet from shrub and the elements as well. Made of leather, it is both robust and 100% waterproof.
- Not to mention that construction of this boot seems it’s also every bit as durable and breathable, which helps keep your feet comfortable.
- For extra comfort, there is a 600g 3M Thinsulate that this boot comes with, which offers a combination of both comfort and support.
This could be very helpful when you have to walk over long distances, which in most cases turns out to be very uncomfortable without sufficient insulation.
You’ll also love the snug feet that this boot delivers, which allows you to walk with a great deal of comfort, but the real deal is in how easy they are to slip on and take off.
We Scored This Product 4 from 5 Stars
My Top Picks
Most Comfortable Winter Boot For Men – Danner Artic 600 Boot
Why: The Danner is a very attractive winter boot that is designed to perform with excellence and to provide you with great traction in all manner of icy and cold conditions without the risk of slipping and sliding.
This is a durable boot made with good quality materials and technology that assures us the utmost comfort and strong and stable footing wherever the trail takes us.
Most Waterproof Winter Boot For Men – Kamik Hunter Boot
Why: The Kamik is an impressive waterproof winter boot that is durable, insulated and built tough to perform in the harshest winter condition while keeping your feet dry and warm.
A high boot with an adjustable snow collar designed to keep out the cold and the height and materials used in the construction will give you the protection you need in snow and cold slushy ground conditions.
Best High Winter Boot For Men – Muck Boot Arctic Pro Snow Boot
Why: With a 15.25-inch long shaft from arch this high boot will stop most things getting into your boot while providing excellent comfort and support. The soft fleece inner lining will keep your feet wrapped in a warm embrace.
The 8 mm neoprene compound gives a nice flexible fitting that will also conform to the shape of your foot after some use with the added benefit of a shock-absorbing element because of the soft but strong material.
Buyers Guide To Choosing The Best Men’s Winter Boot
Since you now know what it takes to find that great winter boot, and some of the best picks around, let’s take a peek at some of the things you need to be keen on before buying.
A good winter boot should be able to keep your toes toasty warm even in temperatures as low as -40 degrees F. And that’s one of the things you’ve noticed in most of the options we’ve discussed here.
To get a boot that is capable of keeping your feet warm and comfy, it’s a good idea to look for the upper material and the lining as well.
Winter conditions usually tend to be wet most of the time, if not always. And if you are to keep your feet warm, you first need to keep them dry. That is where waterproofing comes into play.
Thankfully, most of the boots we picked for this list, and others on the market, are designed to ensure your feet stay as dry as possible. One thing, however, this shouldn’t mean compromising the breathability, so make sure to get a boot that delivers the best of both.
It’s one of the aspects people usually overlook until you trek for too long and your boots start to feel like a burden on your legs. Robust is good, good, lightweight is better, but a combination of both is best.
So as much as you want to get a boot that makes the cut when it comes to performance, make sure not to overlook the issue of weight. A heavy boot is the last thing you want on a hike that takes hours.
Also known as traction, this simply means how steady the boot is likely to make your step. And with the wet ground being so difficult to walk on especially ice, it makes sense why you need to go out of your way to look for a boot with a reliable grip.
This usually comes down to the design and material of the sole as well as the type of lugs it comes with. So be on the lookout for that if you don’t want to slip off and end up with a nasty face plant.
The good news is, some boots even have outsoles designed for wet and dry ice, which you can swap to match, and perhaps outsmart the conditions on the trail.
Questions and Answers
Question: What is the best material for my winter boot?
Answer: Although most boots feature leather upper and rubber soles, there’s a good number of some that are built using other materials too.
But the real secret is in the construction itself, as that is what determines how well a boot performs and how long it might last.
Question: How do I know it’s the perfect size for me?
Answer: There’s no easy way around this one, so as much as it might sound straightforward since all boots are designed to fit people with different sizes of feet, sometimes you might have a hard time getting it to fit comfortably.
Be sure to check out some reviews and see how easy a boot is to break in.
Question: How high should my winter boot be?
Answer: When it comes to winter boots, higher is usually better, but this also hinges on your style and preference. If you want a boot that you can use out in the wild and within the urban area, then an ankle-high one would do.
On the other hand, if you expect to be walking on deep snow, you’d be better off with a higher boot. Choose wisely!
Question: I’m shopping for a winter boot on a budget
Answer: Not to worry, thankfully, these boots come in a wide range of prices, so you can always find one that best fits your budget.
Careful, however, not to trade off the quality for affordability, but that shouldn’t be a reason to give up on your quest for a boot within your set budget.
The market has a lot of high-performance shoes that don’t cost an arm, just take your time and do some due diligence.
Are you planning a weekend trip this winter, or just preparing for the unpredictable season? Winter boots or snow boots are hands down one of the things that should top the list.
Just be sure to choose carefully to find a boot that offers a perfect fit and guarantees a solid footing on just about any terrain, you’ll be happy you put the money on a boot that is worth every penny.
Don’t let winter catch you by surprise this time, if you’re outdoors camping this winter season be prepared and have a good down jacket and a solid pair of winter boots to help get you back to your campsite and into your tent.
If you have any more questions about the best winter boots for men, I’ll be more than happy to answer them in the comments section below.
Remember! Leave it cleaner than you found it, only footprints not rubbish.