Every outdoors-person knows that sometimes a log or rock just doesn’t make the cut which is where good quality heavy-duty camp chairs come in when it comes to sitting around the campfire or on some beach.
From spending some time with your loved ones playing table games or just enjoying the clear night skies, having a good chair could take your camping fun to a whole new level.
But finding that perfect chair is what proves to be a challenge for many. And the wide range of options out there doesn’t help. If anything, you’ll be more confused on which one to go for.
Not to worry though, we figured out this could be easier for you with everything you need in one place. So we took the time to put together the best of the best heavy-duty chairs.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I earn a small commission, you get a great deal. It’s a win-win. As the owner and editor of this site, I hope you enjoy this top-rated product review. Full Affiliate Disclosure Here
Here Is My List Of Best Heavy Duty Camp Chairs
ALPS Mountaineering King Kong
- It’s a spacious chair with plenty of room on the seat
- Has a strong frame, capable of supporting up to 800 lbs
- Comfortable yet strong fabric
- Adjustable armrests with lots of storage options
- Comes with a storage bag for easy storage and transport
- The seat can become loose and sag down a little with time.
My Initial Thoughts: As our list rolls on, it’s time to bring out one of the brands you’ve all come to know and love — ALPS Mountaineering.
And this chair from the manufacturer comes with its fair share of cool features too, one being the solid sturdy frame made of powder-coated steel, which makes it capable of supporting a remarkable 800 lbs.
The fabric is also impressive, as the 600D polyester goes a long way to offer you the comfort and stability you would expect to get with a heavy-duty camping chair.
But that’s not all
- Its armrests also add to the convenience and strength that the frame and fabric of this chair offer, as these are also easily adjustable to that sweet spot for your comfort.
- 13 Lbs in weight won’t be too heavy to carry to the campsite.
- The seat is also very roomy, offering more than enough space even for big people to sit in it comfortably.
- The king Kong measures an impressive 38 inches wide 20 inches deep and 38 inches high
Not forgetting, the armrests on this one too come with a cup holder as well as a side pocket on each for those items you would want to keep close.
Moreover, we were happy to find out about a mesh pocket on the back, which comes in really handy for storing the carry bag as well as some of any other items you might want to keep with you.
The King Kong chair is truly a heavy-duty camp chair so be sure to check out my in-depth review by clicking on the highlighted text above.
We Scored This Product 4.8 from 5 Stars
Ozark Trail 500 lb Capacity XXL Director Chair
- It’s a strong chair for the big guys
- Lots of sitting space available
- Delivers a combination of strength and comfort
- The armrests are also great for that additional bit of comfort
- It’s also very durable
- On the downside, however, this chair is a heavyweight at over 20lbs.
My Initial Thoughts: Ideal for camping, this chair is truly built to offer you the value you pay for, thanks to its wide range of great features.
The armrests on this chair are also very impressive, especially thanks to the fact that besides being as strong as the chair itself, they also feature padding that adds a bit of comfort to it.
You won’t want to miss the foldable side table that this chair comes with, which is also pretty robust and flexible, ensuring you can always keep those handy items within reach while still keeping your hands free.
- Let’s check the robust frame, which is built using extra-wide steel that makes it one of the most solid chairs on the market.
- A good looking and stylish chair, it has the ability to support a whopping 500 lbs.
- However, weighing up to 23.1 pounds, it is a heavy chair, but it won’t blow away in the slightest breeze.
It is not only as robust as the frame of this chair, but it also has enough padding to offer you that cushy comfort that you will really come to appreciate when outdoors.
Just so you have a wide range of options, Ozark has offered blue and red colors so you can choose the one that best suits your preference or style.
We Scored This Product 4.7 from 5 Stars
Guide Gear Oversized Director’s Chair
- Built with a robust frame for ultimate strength
- Spacious seat to sit in
- Handy side table with inbuilt cup holder for convenience
- Comfortable fabric seat
- Easy to transport and store
- The fabric on the seat sometimes slides forward
My Initial Thoughts: Here’s another heavy-duty chair that’s definitely built with the needs of heavier campers at heart.
It’s for this reason that it comes with a frame made with an ultra-sturdy steel tube, so you can sit confidently without the risk of those embarrassing falls.
And the fabric plays a crucial role here as well since the performance of this chair doesn’t come down to the frame alone.
- And with the ability to hold up to 500lbs, you can bet that this chair is capable of some serious heavy lifting, and for a very long time as well.
- Also, keep in mind that this chair only weighs 14.4 pounds.
- With a rugged polyester fabric, and the seat measuring an impressive 15 inches by 20 inches, you can count on this chair for ultimate comfort.
At 17 inches off the ground, it’s worth mentioning that this chair is super easy to sit in and get on, and you won’t feel like you are sitting too close to the ground.
Its handy side table is the other feature that makes this chair a great choice for your outdoor trip. This one offers space for your snacks, drinks, as well as other items you might want to keep within reach.
By the way, the side table also comes with an inbuilt cup holder, and for easy transportation as well as storage, this chair folds completely flat.
We Scored This Product 4.4 from 5 Stars
500-lb. Capacity Heavy-Duty Portable Chair
- Strong and durable frame
- Tough fabric for even weight distribution
- Comes with an included storage bag
- Robust shatterproof feet for stability on different terrain
- Ideal backrest and armrests with storage for your handy items
- Issues with some parts of the frame poking into the legs.
My Initial Thoughts: From LivingXL, here’s a chair that you’ll go out of your way to love for its wide array of great features.
Thanks to its heavy-duty 22mm tube frame, this chair is designed to take on up to 500 lbs with ease. But there’s more; it also comes with an extra center frame support that offers additional support and durability.
Besides the frame, the fabric that this chair is made up is also every bit as robust. Made with a tough 600-denier polyester, it can easily distribute your weight evenly on the frame for stability.
Still, on stability, it’s also worth mentioning that this chair has oversized, shatterproof feet that ensure you are stable in different terrains.
Other features you ask?
- It’s important to note that this chair weighs 10.6 pounds, quite lightweight for its size.
- Besides, the seat is wide enough at 24 inches wide and 22 inches deep, giving you sufficient sitting space, then it’s high enough off the ground at 19 inches.
- The backrest is also every bit as impressive, with sufficient space measuring 23.5 inches by 19.5 inches.
And to give you that much-needed comfort, the fabric is fully padded. Then there’s the left armrest with an oversized cup holder, and the right one with a cup and gadget holder as well.
Also, it comes with a lower mesh pocket on the side for keeping your items at arm’s distance.
We Scored This Product 4.6 from 5 Stars
Coleman Big-N-Tall Quad Camping Chair
- Wide seat design at 24 inches
- Very solid frame and a similarly robust material
- High enough to allow you to sit with comfort
- Strong construction, capable of supporting up to 600 lbs
- Ideal seat design to drain any water and keep it dry.
- It has a large “Big-N-Tall” mark on the carry bag.
My Initial Thoughts: This Coleman Big-N-Tall chair brings up the halfway mark on this list, and it earns itself a spot thanks to the solid construction that makes it really worth the money.
Let’s start off with the large feet and the oversized seat of this chair, which offer an impressive level of stability on your chair, so you can sit confidently on different types of terrain.
Then there’s the robust steel frame and tough synthetic fabric, which offer just the ideal combination to give you a chair strong enough to support an impressive 600 lbs, one of the highest so far on this list.
While still at it
It also packs in some great features to offer you that much-needed comfort. These include the high design (at 19 inches) that allows you to sit and stand up easily, unlike most chairs that feel like sitting on a sling.
Also, for convenience, it has a water-resistance sleeve that you can use for storing your electronic devices in bad weather.
- Other features worth mentioning here include a carry bag,
- It only weighs about 9.9 pounds.
- And of course, you can’t pass on the 1-year warranty that this chair comes with.
It’s worth mentioning that you’ll find the draining seat design very convenient as it allows any water that falls on the seat to flow off easily, thus keeping it dry all the time.
We Scored This Product 4.6 from 5 Stars
Internet’s Best XL Padded Camping Folding Chair
- It’s a lightweight heavy-duty chair
- Made using a tough 600D material
- Very spacious, and comfortable seat
- Extra-wide padding on the seat adds to the comfort
- A robust carry bag that will last as long as the chair
- The carry bag is too snug to fit the chair in there without a struggle
My Initial Thoughts: If you are looking for a great chair for outdoor sports, then this is it.
The high-quality fabric (600D) it’s made of is not only tough on its own, but it also comes with a coating that makes it both water and stain-resistant.
The seat also has some extra wide padding that adds to the comfort that you can get with this chair even when you have to sit in it for hours. Not forgetting, it’s spacious enough itself at 20.5” wide and 20” deep.
But don’t let the size and performance fool you, this chair is still one of the most lightweight heavy-duty chairs out there, at only 9.8lbs.
Want more convenience
- To add a bit of convenience, the manufacturer also made sure this chair comes with an insulated cup holder.
- This will help keep your drink cold, or just to hold your drink while kicking back.
- Even better, it also has a cooler bag that you can use to keep additional drinks cold using ice.
As far as capacity goes, this chair isn’t built to hold a lot of weight as some other options on this list, but at 275lbs, it still packs the capability for some heavy lifting.
You’ll also love the included 300D-carry bag that it comes with, which is very convenient when it comes to transporting and storing your chair.
We Scored This Product 4.8 from 5 Stars
Coleman Oversized Black Camping Lawn Chairs
- It’s a versatile chair for sports, picnics, and other outdoor activities
- Very comfortable and spacious seat for sitting over long hours
- Strong enough to hold up even with weight over 300 pounds
- The inbuilt cooler does a great job at keeping your drinks cold
- High enough off the ground so it’s easy to sit on and stand up
- The carry bag it comes with isn’t the best quality and is difficult to fit in the chair
My Initial Thoughts: Built for camping lovers, Coleman has incorporated in this chair just about anything you’d ask for in a heavy-duty chair.
Starting with the fully cushioned seat as well as a backrest, you can bet that comfort won’t be difficult to come by with this chair even when you have to sit on it for hours.
When it comes to convenience, nothing quite beats the inbuilt 4-can cooler, which ensures your drinks stay within reach, and icy-cold so you can enjoy a refreshing sip whenever you feel like.
- It also comes with armrests, which means you won’t have to mind about the comfort of resting your arms.
- It also comes in as one of the most lightweight on this list so far, weighing only 7.7 pounds.
- But that isn’t to mean this is a crappy chair, its strong steel frame is solid enough to withstand up to 325 pounds.
And then there’s the seat, which is roomy enough so you won’t have to squeeze to fit in there. Measuring 24 inches, and at an impressive 18.1 inches off the ground, you could comfortably sit in this one for hours without any much discomfort at all.
We Scored This Product 4.4 from 5 Stars
ALPHA CAMP Oversized Camping Folding Chair
- Strong and super comfy Oxford fabric
- Solid steel frame and sturdy construction for performance and durability
- A durable plastic wrap on the poles for buffering impact, and enhancing durability
- Collapses to a compact 9.05 inches by 38.58 inches
- Padded armrests for additional comfort
- It’s quite heavy for a chair this size at 13.2lbs.
My Initial Thoughts: This one is not only easily collapsible, it’s also going to make your life in the outdoors so much more fun, thanks to a good number of amazing features.
These include the ultra size design of this chair, which ensures you have plenty of room to sit in comfortably.
Besides, the sitting area is not only large, but it also comes with 600x300D padded Oxford material, which we really gave a thumbs up for its awesome comfort.
- Its armrests also feature a padded design that ensures you not only enjoy the convenience that comes with a chair that has armrests, but you can also get the best comfort out of it.
- Speaking of convenience you won’t go wrong with the side pockets in this chair, which you can use for your notebooks, maps, or phones among other items.
- As far as performance goes, this one doesn’t disappoint, thanks to its ability to support well up to 450 lbs.
It all comes down to the sturdy frame made of steel, along with the Oxford fabric. But there’s more; for ultimate performance and durability, this chair also boasts a four heavy-duty steel frame on the bottom.
To keep you cool and refreshed even on those hot days, you can easily count on a drink holder designed for your water bottle, as well as a cooler bag for keeping your drinks cold and within reach. What beats that?
We Scored This Product 4.3 from 5 Stars
CORE Equipment Folding Padded Hard Arm Chair
- Awesome gear pocket for your items
- Armrests padding attached by Velcro for easy removal when cleaning
- The cup holder is extendable to suit your needs
- Comfortable seat and armrests for ultimate comfort
- Leg mechanisms located about 3-4 inches off the ground to keep sand off the moving parts
- The padding on the seat could retain heat in warm weather
My Initial Thoughts: From camping to sports, outdoor activities or even for use in the lawn, this versatile chair is designed to give you that special touch you would want both at home and away.
Its foldable frame is by far one of the things you’ll notice at first, as it is not only foldable but also very durable, thanks to the robust steel material it’s made of.
And to add to the chair’s performance, there’s the 600D brushed polyester that adds a soft touch to it too.
Then there’s the inbuilt cup holder, which is actually oversized for your convenience as it can hold cups and bottles of different sizes.
To top it off
- That’s not all; it also has a gear pocket that you’ll definitely find handy for storing your items such as a phone or map among others.
- When it comes to comfort, the quilted design of the seat takes care of that; but you’ll also have the padded arms to thank for the additional support and comfort that this chair delivers.
- And in case you have doubts about the strength or durability of the arms, you would be happy to hear that CORE has taken care of that too.
Other essential features that we loved in this chair include the carry bag with carrying straps for easy, convenient storage and transportation, as well as a 1-year warranty, and perforated bottom of the cup holder for any condensation to pass through.
We Scored This Product 4.3 from 5 Stars
JQ&JQ Portable Camping Chair
- The fabric and steel are both strong and durable
- Its joints are flexible for easy installation
- Padded, hard arms for additional comfort and durability
- Easy to carry with an included carry bag
- Strong enough to support up to 660 lbs
- Issues with the bottom of the carry bag fraying and breaking easily
My Initial Thoughts: This chair is popular among campers for a number of reasons, but what makes it most outstanding is the sheer weight it can support.
This comes across as one of the most heavy-duty chairs out there, and it could come in handy even for big guys who have had it with chairs that just don’t make the cut.
Its fabric is also as tough as the frame. Made with a durable 600D Oxford fabric, it delivers a remarkable combination of performance and comfort
- You would be hard-pressed to find more durability in most chairs on the market.
- Weighs approximately 11 lbs
- We also loved the well-built frame, which is made of heavy-duty steel.
- And by the way, it can take on up to 660lbs on a stride.
- Comfort hasn’t been overlooked in the construction of this chair.
- JQ&JQ has thought of such features as the padded seat and armrests in the design that also add a great deal to the comfort.
Then there’s the aspect of convenience, which is where you’ll need the side storage pouch, which you can use for keeping your wallet, phone, and other items close by.
The manufacturer had your needs for refreshment at heart, which is why they added a cup holder on the armrests, as well as an ice bag that you can count on for keeping your beverages ice cold.
We Scored This Product 4.1 from 5 Stars
VINGLI Professional Fishing Chair
- Made of robust steel even on the armrests
- The 600D waterproof fabric is easy to clean, and quick-drying
- Its 180-degree recline is great for your back
- Strong enough to support up to 350 lbs
- At 48 inches by 24 inches, it’s a whopper!
- Weighing up to 27 pounds, it’s hands down a heavy chair
My Initial Thoughts: The legs don’t lock as well as they should in some chairs
Best for camping, picnic, hiking or just any other outdoor adventure, this chair is built with the needs of every outdoor person in mind.
The first feature that caught our attention in this chair is the awesome 180-degree adjustable recline that goes the distance to offer you outstanding comfort, is safe on your back and ensures a great body posture as well.
Here’s some extra’s
- Made using corrosion-resistant steel tubes, it is also strong enough besides the comfort that it offers, as it can support up to 350 lbs.
- To add a touch of comfort, it also has a padded 600D waterproof Oxford fabric seat as well as on the backrest.
- But what will blow you away is the height of its backrest, and the spacious bottom, which makes it very comfy to lounge in for hours.
What’s more, its mesh fabric is taut enough that it doesn’t sag easily, and is very breathable during warm weather as well as quick-drying, which could mean a world of difference in wet weather.
Speaking of wet conditions, it’s easy for your chair to sink on soft and wet ground, but this one has slope adjustable legs that you can adjust to keep it from sinking.
We Scored This Product 4.0 from 5 Stars
My Top Picks
Best Lightweight H-D Chair – Internet’s Best XL Padded Camping Chair
Why: Under 10 Pounds with a 4.8 rating and all the features you will need this one stands out as a chair that will serve your purpose well without breaking your back getting it too and from the campsite.
Most Popular H-D Chair – ALPS Mountaineering King Kong
Why: With nearly 2000 customer ratings and a 5-star score by well over 80% of people this strong and stable masterpiece has proven itself over many years to many people and continues to rank very highly on and list of good quality camping chairs.
Best Durable H-D Chair – JQ&JQ Portable Camping Chair
Why: Stylish good looks and a well designed and constructed steel frame together with a nice 600D Oxford fabric to carry a very substantial weight of 660 lbs.
This well built heavy-duty camping chair in my opinion certainly stands up high alongside many of the most durable chairs available
Best Budget H-D Chair – Coleman Oversized Black Camping Chairs
Why: No real need to tell most of us about the Coleman brand, they have been around for a very long time producing outdoor and camping equipment to a high standard.
These heavy-duty Coleman chairs are made to the same high standard but do not carry a high price tag
Questions and Answers
Question: Do I need a heavy-duty chair?
Answer: The answer to this is a bit relative, as it all comes down to what you actually need. If you are a big guy, these chairs are for you, but anyone could give them a try if that would transform your outdoor experience.
Question: How expensive should a heavy-duty chair be?
Answer: Different chairs come with different price tags, which are attributable to the overall quality of the chair, the materials used or additional features. The best thing you can do is to go for a chair that fits your budget or offers you the best value despite the cost, or both.
Question: Aren’t these chairs too heavy?
Answer: Most would think that heavy-duty chairs are way too heavy for portability during outdoor trips. Far from it, some of these chairs weigh less than 10 pounds, however, some are definitely heavyweights, it all comes down to what you want, really.
Question: What makes heavy-duty chairs stand out?
Answer: First, and most importantly, is the amount of weight that these chairs can support, which is a bit higher than most other chairs can hold. But that’s not all; even these chairs themselves come with extra features that set them apart from each other too.
Buyers Guide On Choosing The Best Heavy-Duty Camp Chairs
So, what should you be on the lookout for when shopping for heavy-duty camp chairs? Well, there’s a lot that goes into a chair to make it stand out, here are some of the things you definitely don’t want to miss.
These chairs are designed for big guys, but even with that aside, any chair should be strong enough to support your weight without the potential of giving in and is durable enough.
Consider such factors as the construction and material used. Also, be sure to have a look at reviews to see how well any particular chair has been performing in use.
How comfortable is it?
The only reason you would want to bring a chair with you in the outdoors is to enjoy that comfort that you cannot get with sitting on a log or rock. And as such, your chair of choice should offer enough comfort.
This boils down to the design, and again, the material. Such features as padding, armrests, and backrest play a virtually irreplaceable role here.
This is all about both the crucial parts of your body such as the back and body weight support. The manufacturer has the obligation to provide information about the amount of weight their chair can support.
Now, you need to be keen to choose the chair that best fits your weight, and if possible go for one that can hold a higher amount of weight than yours. Thankfully, chairs of different weight capacities are out there, so it’s just a matter of going for the one that can best take on your weight.
Such features as cup holders, storage pockets, armrests, and an ice bag for the drinks could go a long way to transforming your camping experience.
These offer a seamless combination of both comfort and convenience that you might only understand if you experience it firsthand. So yeah, it doesn’t hurt to keep an eye out for such features; they could be all you’ve been missing.
If you’ve been on the hunt for that ideal heavy-duty chair to bring along on your next getaway, then you might have already found out the hard way that landing a good and reliable chair isn’t as easy as it might come across.
Chances are, you’ve even made a few wrong decisions along the way, which is probably why you ended up here in the search for a better purchase. Well, we believe we’ve covered the topic of heavy-duty chairs in-depth enough to enable you to make the right choice.
Also, with all the options we have listed here, you can bet that you are going to find that chair that will offer you the value you pay for. Don’t give up on your quest for comfort in the outdoors, give it another shot with one of these chairs, you’ll be glad you did!
If you have any more questions about heavy duty camp chairs, I’ll be more than happy to answer them in the comments section below.
Remember! Leave it cleaner than you found it, only footprints not rubbish.