I’ve been set on recommending a pair of the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes for all outdoor lovers for some time. If you’ve spent much time going into the wild and getting a kick out of nature, you’ll know that your hiking shoes are one of your most important companions.
Why I Choose the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes
The Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes by Merrell have been one of the best hiking shoes I’ve owned for the reasons that they’re durable, balanced, and affordable. I’ve hiked in these shoes myself in past years over steep trails and rough mountains.
Thanks to this brand that’s been long known to focus on quality and comfort, the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes have proven themselves in providing a pleasant hiking experience.
Even when trekking through rough terrains and tough trails, these shoes remain light and stable while keeping your feet protected from the rubble and sharp objects.
The shoe is designed to be more of a boot, that’s why many outdoor enthusiasts who have been used to wearing boots have switched to the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoe. However, it feels much like a high-performing trail running shoe.
For a very affordable price, you’ll experience true comfort, foot protection, and high performance even when spending a couple of days out in the trails.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I earn a small commission, you get a great deal. It’s a win-win. As the owner and editor of this site, I hope you enjoy this top-rated product review. Full Affiliate Disclosure Here
Merrell Moab 2 Hiking Shoes
Features Of Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes
- Breathable mesh fabric along the top and side linings for better ventilation
- Performance-grade suede leather for durability
- Cushioned collar and foam tongues to complete the debris-free design
- Extra heel padding for underfoot protection, increased stability, and shock absorption
- Contoured footbeds for arch and heel support, securely holding the foot in place
- Molded nylon arch shank for added stability
- EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate) midsole to withstand the weight and the everyday wear and tear
- 5mm lug depth for better grip
- Weight at 1lb and 15 oz
- Available colorways include black, brown, and gray
The Benefits Of Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes
With the footgear’s use of mesh fabric, you can expect total breathability on the trail. As the shoe comes with a well-balanced design, its “Ventilator” name mainly comes from its use of breathable mesh liner that absorbs and drains moisture, promoting good airflow for a cool, frictionless feel.
Its heel compartment has also been rightfully shaped to help prevent heel lift; its softshell covering helps absorb sweat away from your foot. This is basically one of the reasons why I love the Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe, I’ve never gotten blisters with it.
The Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes toe area comes with a secured rubber cap that will help protect your feet against unfortunate knocks and shocks along the way.
Its closed-cell foam tongue will also hold off trail debris, giving you another less thing to worry about. The shoe also comes with a molded nylon shank that provides you with extra arch support and additional protection from a strong impact in rough terrain.
Don’t forget about its suede leather strips accentuating the shoe’s exterior; it also acts as a protective barrier around your foot.
The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe is equipped with the ultimate Vibram TC5+ outsole that allows it to cling to the ground’s surface. The rubber compound used in creating TC5+ gives the footgear the ability to get attached to different outdoor surfaces, including dry and wet surfaces.
Measuring 5mm in-depth, its multi-faceted lugs allow the Moab 2 Vent shoe to easily stick to your chosen terrain’s soil, whether you’re planning on trekking on a rocky, jagged coastline or taking a long walk through a flat, open grassland.
Once you begin to explore the outdoors with increasing speed, you’re faced with the issue of traction. Particularly when speed is involved, we need grip in our shoes when moving and changing direction, even when ascending or descending.
Check out the space between Moab 2 Vent shoe’s lugs; they’re large enough to allow the outsole to channel most of the water out, preventing you from sliding uncontrollably on wet surfaces.
These will also help you in controlling your feet and making your way downhill where you have to strongly rely on your feet as brakes. On slippery surfaces, you’ll handle things better when you don’t slide out with your feet in every step.
I’m confident that the Moab 2 Vent Shoe will be a perfect match for your day hiking needs.
This hiking shoe comes with a bouncy midsole that will give you as much balance, support, and comfort as possible. The ethylene-vinyl acetate or EVA, a material that resembles foam, can endure significant weight and impact.
With the brand’s own air cushion technology incorporated in the heel, you can expect the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes to reduce the stress on every step.
Size and Fit
Merrell’s top-notch Moab 2 Vent shoes are designed and engineered for male and female outdoor enthusiasts alike. While it comes in full and half sizes, you also have the option to choose from standard width or widths outside the average range.
How to Care for the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes
While the Merrell’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe is designed for rugged use, you can always extend its shelf life through proper care and maintenance.
Whether it’s your daily companion or you use it occasionally, you will always come to a point where you have to clean your footgear. Have a look at these easy ways on how to give it long life:
- Use a cleaning brush with soft bristles to get rid of dirt, foliage debris, and other substances.
- If covered in mud or other similar sticky substances, take off the laces and insole first.
- You may then wash your Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe using warm water and mild laundry detergent. Don’t forget to thoroughly rinse the shoes with clean water.
- Let the shoes dry at room temperature. For a quicker drying process, squeeze in some newspaper in its confines and leave your footgear to dry in the open.
- Never expose them directly to sunlight or other heat sources.
- To care for its upper, use leather creams/conditioners for its suede overlay treatment. Get rid of any surface dirt before treatment with the use of a soft-bristled cleaning tool.
Updates to the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes
One of the essential pieces of Merrell’s topnotch line of breathable footgear, the Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe is certainly an impressive upgrade from its predecessor, the first-ever Moab Vent, thanks to the following updates:
- The Moab 2 Vent comes with an upper created with suede leather and mesh panels for increased comfort and breathability;
- Thanks to stout overlays, the heel zone of the second-gen Moab Vent has improved structural form and increased support;
- Underfoot cushioning for a unified sole and insole allows you to improve your strides over level terrain;
- The presence of the M Select FIT.ECO+ footbed offers adequate heel and arch support;
- Even with the use of the first-gen toe bumper for forefoot protection, the Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe comes with an agreeable upgrade to durable rubber as a replacement for synthetic leather;
- The Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe has been engineered with the Vibram TV5+ rubber outsole for increased traction even on slippery and wet surfaces, replacing its predecessor’s Vibram Multi-Sport outsole; and
- The lacing system has been made more efficient with one less pair of eyelets.
Question: Can the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes be used for other activities besides hiking?
Answer: This high-quality footgear has been designed for outdoor adventures, and that includes different terrains.
Nevertheless, the Moab 2 Vent shoes are versatile enough to be worn for other purposes, whether you’re walking to a park, doing some light gardening, or finishing up the day’s errands.
I typically walk over five miles per day on smooth ground, yet there’s no better footgear to keep me comfortable even when I’m not exploring the outdoors. These shoes are definitely sturdy yet comfy. They also offer a firm footing that holds up really well.
Question: Do the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes fit true to size?
Answer: I’ve had this issue with other brands with which I always need to choose a size that’s about a half-inch larger. I’m happy to say that these Merrell shoes easily molded to the sides of my feet.
This brand makes the toe area of their footgear somewhat wider, so your toes will enjoy some extra room. I’m highly satisfied with the fit and, even when wearing them on long day hikes.
I’ve had no issues with blisters. I really enjoy the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes because they’re simply perfect for just about every move I make and every trip I take.
Question: Are they comfortable right out of the box or do you need to break them in?
Answer: I bought my pair the day before I left for a four-day outdoor trip. Even though I was really worried because I might get blisters since I wasn’t able to break the shoes in, I never got blisters.
The Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe is extra comfy and breathable- no friction at all. Even at a temperature of 100 degrees and over, I had no problem.
I’m on my feet for many hours a day, plus I’m an avid summer hiking enthusiast and would do anything to go camping, hiking, rock climbing, trekking, you name it. These shoes definitely gave me a relaxed feel even when used right out of the box.
- High levels of comfort, lightness, and breathability;
- Value for money (lots of helpful features for value price);
- The perfect option for warm weather;
- Well-designed with durable material;
- Performs well even in non-hiking activities
- Strong outsole grip gives you the confidence to walk in various terrains;
- Easy to break in, comfortable even when worn right out of the box (goodbye, blisters!)
- Fits true to size (no need to find a size that’s a half or an entire inch larger)
- Plenty of room for toes, thanks to its wide toe box; and
- Adequate heel and arch support
- Using this non-waterproof version, especially with the use of mesh fabric in the shoe’s upper, may allow moisture to seep in. Nonetheless, the mesh can dry quickly.
- With one less pair of eyelets, some users may experience heel slippage. If your heel does slip, you can keep it in place through lock lacing techniques that help tighten the shoe around your heel and ankle.
On the whole, the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes have ideally combined comfort, support, and durability in an affordable package. It’s so versatile that not only outdoor enthusiasts will love it; it’s also a perfect option if you’re seeking comfortable, unconstrained footgear for daily use.
Rest assured, if you’re using the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes for hiking along rough terrains, you’ll thank them for a highly enjoyable walking experience.
Its latest technology keeps your heel and ankle well supported while channeling moisture out, so there’s less stress on your feet with every step.
Cozy enough when used straight out of the box, the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes are an excellent, reasonably priced option for your hiking needs.
I can’t recommend them enough, so have a look at this Amazon deal and get your feet to experience this well-ventilated hiker that’s earned thousands of positive ratings! I love mine, and I think you will love them too.
If you have any more questions about the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Hiking Shoes, I’d love to hear them and I’ll be more than happy to answer them in the comments section below.
For more choices and an amazing range of quality hiking shoes with a lot more information for your next adventure read my post on the Best Lightweight Hiking Shoes
For a ladies hiking shoe read my in-depth review of the very good Merrell Women’s Siren Edge Hiker for a great shoe for the lady in your life.
Remember! Leave it cleaner than you found it, only footprints not rubbish.