This list contains some of the best 4 season tents designed for serious alpine expeditions, the list encompasses a whole range of four-season tents, from the high-end incredibly expensive to the much more affordable.
This Article Was Last Updated On June 29, 2021
These are made tough, built to take on the most extreme weather nature can throw at us. Constructed using high-quality materials that you can rely on to get you through the coldest nights on the slopes. The correct and proper equipment can sometimes mean the difference between enjoyment and agony.
Note: As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I get a small commission from the seller at no cost to you, and you get a great deal. It’s a win-win, I hope you enjoy my article. Full Affiliate Disclosure Here
Ok, let’s start on our top 10.
Beginning with a very highly rated shelter, and if you require excellent durability and excellent harsh weather protection the Black Diamond Eldorado is the pick of the bunch.
We found this one to be super strong but still lightweight and when staked out fully can take on any wind and snow conditions. This is a tent built to perform in the harshest of conditions.
Black Diamond Eldorado Tent
- Quality single-wall true expedition tent
- Great durability
- Proven over many years
- Excellent lightweight design
- Best in heavy snow and win
- Not the best ventilation but this is a true adventure tent.
- It is not ideal having to do this, but a wise move is to seal all the taped seams in the tent.
My Initial Thought: The Eldorado is a traditional mountaineering tent design with a spacious interior. This single-wall tent is lightweight and super strong, this is a serious 2 person tent for nasty weather.
This excellent Black Diamond tent weighs is in at just 5 lbs 1 oz making it one of the lightest on our list but by no means takes nothing away from its strong and stable construction, this tent is built for the wild outdoors.
Works well as a freestanding tent but if your in for nasty weather stake this baby down and it will not go anywhere.
What it means is this
The durable quality and reliable build using excellent materials have proven themselves sufficient for harsh alpine conditions over many years.
- Two aluminum internal poles for easy setup
- There are two zippered vents at the top of the tent for ventilation which is needed because with the door closed there is not much airflow.
- Another two hooded vents placed over the door and at the bottom help with circulation, also the mesh door assists greatly in good weather.
- An optional extra that is available is a groundsheet, and it’s worth remembering that a groundsheet or cover under any tent is a wise investment.
- Like all single wall tents, condensation is always an issue in warmer climates so this tent works best in cold climates.
As for the size
Product dimensions are 87 inches long by 51 inches wide by 43 inches high this is quite a comfortable space. Designated a 2-person tent 2 adults will be in nice and close. A single person plus gear will be very comfortable.
It has a single door entry so you are enclosed once inside, the floor area is 30.8sq feet. This is a rocking good 4-season tent and extremely popular among serious cold-weather outdoor enthusiasts.
Eureka! Assault Outfitter Four-Person, Four-Season
- Sturdy construction
- Strong and stable in all conditions
- Breathable mesh panel door allows good ventilation
- Set-up is a cinch
- There is none, this one is a top performer.
My Initial Thought: Most products that have any military design input are usually worth a second look, and we found a strong and study very spacious tent that will accommodate you and 3 friends on your next cold-weather adventure.
Plenty of room
Built solid using good quality materials this Eureka tent at 63.8sq ft offers a spacious area, designed as a 4 person tent this would be ideal for 2 people with plenty of room for your packs and other gear.
- 1500 mm fabric coating greatly assists the effective and waterproof rainfly to keep dry as well as creating a convenient storage vestibule
- Ventilation is good with breathable mesh door openings and closable vents that allow a nice airflow
Using lightweight DAC poles for the frame of the tent makes it simple to erect plus the fact they have lines sleeves for easy joining makes it super easy.
With a height of 4ft 8in this allows a comfortable sitting height to unwind, relax, and prepare a meal at the end of the day. Weighing 14lb 13oz that includes all the accessories, guys stakes, and ropes and packing down to a compact 8 inches x 22 inches.
I like the Eureka assault tent for its sturdy construction good ventilation and its ability to keep me safe and comfortable in the worst of conditions. This is a seriously good tent for extreme conditions it is not cheap but the durability of the tent means it will be with you for many years if not decades.
A favorite among some good competition
There are many happy customers who own this remarkable tent and on Amazon alone, the customer rating is an extremely high 4.9 out of 5. This score is well deserved you will have no regrets when you purchase this exceptional shelter. Read the full review Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 Person Tent
ALPS Mountaineering Tasmanian 2-Person Tent
- Excellent warranty
- Good weather protection
- Tent area of 34.5sqft
- Stuff sack could be a little larger
My Initial Thought: With a total weight of 9 lb, 14 oz is not the lightest on our list but the solid construction and materials together make a sound shelter for all seasons.
Durable strong multi-hub aluminum poles with weatherproof shock cord mean you will have this tent up in no time, a simple flick of the poles is all that’s needed sometimes, this is a well-designed tent.
- The water-resistant polyester material used in making the tent will help with keeping the elements at bay.
- A poly taffeta floor will keep any water from seeping into the bottom of the tent.
- Multiple mesh pockets a loft and large vestibule areas provide plenty of room for storage, in fact, the vestibule area of 13 sqft is very large.
This is a 2 person tent, the dimensions of 5 ft 2 in x 7 ft 8 in x 46 inches high is ample room for two adults and gear, and when it’s packed down, the size is 19in x 6.5 in making it easy to transport so read my full review here.
MSR Access Lightweight 4-Season 2-Person Tent
- Easy set-up
- Lightweight for a double-wall tent
- Compact size
- Good value tent
- Change the pegs if you are going into rough and windy conditions
- This is designated a treeline tent although it has performed well in alpine conditions
My Initial Thought: Best for cold winter backcountry skiing and camping, snow conditions will not keep you from enjoying your trip inside this warm spacious lightweight, and strong tent.
Want to know more
The minimum weight including the tent rainfly and poles is 3 lb 10 oz while the total package weight is 4 lb 1 oz. A compact carry size of 18 inches by 6 inches x 6 inches will be the unit packed down ready for transport.
- Durable materials including poles that are made from Aerospace grade material stand the test of time and keep you safe in all but the worst of conditions.
- The materials used in the construction of a canopy are 20 denier ripstop nylon and the floor is made from 30 denier ripstop nylon.
- This is a strong and pliable material that will help keep you warm on cold nights.
Plenty of room
There is plenty of room for two adults and gear as the interior measurements of the floor area are 84 inches x 50 inches with a height of 42 inches totaling 29 sq feet.
Two good size vestibules provide an extra area of 8.75 square feet on each side of the tent as a good area to store your equipment
Black Diamond Fitzroy 3-Person 4-Season Tent
- Durable and long-lasting
- Easy set-up
- Spacious and well made
- Stable and strong against the worst conditions
- High initial expense
- Thoroughly dry the tent after use to keep mold out of the internal pole clip patches
My Initial Thought: No surprise here but my first thought was the initial expense is quite high, however, if you get 10 years of good trouble-free safe, and comfortable shelter the overall cost becomes irrelevant.
What about durability
The durability of the Black Diamond Fitzroy is unquestionable, the crossed Easton aluminum pole steep side design and the soft but strong Todd-Tex single-wall fabric will perform well in the harshest of climates.
- Set-up is easy after a few times and within a couple of minutes, you will be all set.
- Once tensioned down and secured safely it will not move or flap and fly about but will remain firmly in place.
- It has overhanging eaves that work really well in keeping the rain out allowing the door to be left open a little on wet days to let the breeze enter while waiting out the storm.
- The bathtub bottom of the tent is a good design that keeps out the groundwater.
Spacious and roomy
Measuring 93 x 60 inches of floor space and standing 40 inches high there is a massive amount of room for two people even though it’s designed as a 3 person tent. fitting in with all your gear will be a breeze.
The Black Diamond tent weighs in at 7.1 pounds but as a multi-person tent with plenty of space, it ranks as one hell of a good tent even if the price is a bit steep.
Naturehike Cloud-Up Lightweight Tent with Footprint
- Comes with all accessories
- Simple to erect
There are 1 -2 bad reviews about the zipper but otherwise, we found it hard to complain
My Initial Thought: This is a 4-season freestanding dome tent that is available in 1, 2, and 3 person size and designed to withstand heavy rain and some snow.
The Naturehike cloud up two-person lightweight tent weighs in at 4.7 lb and that includes the tent and all accessories Pegs and ropes. It is claimed to be the lightest 2 person tent ever on Amazon.
- Easy setup within just a few minutes this one is a durable tent that has proven its worth over many years.
- A perfect small tent that will keep you dry and sheltered even in the harshest conditions.
- The double-layer design works well with the tent being waterproof and strong in harsh winds.
- Use the inner tent only for comfortable bug-free shelter with good ventilation in good weather.
The tent material made with 210T polyester and a strong and breathable rainfly made with polyester will provide comfort and shade from the sun with a 50+ sun protection.
The inner dimensions of the two-person naturehike are 83 inches long 49 in 39 inches high. The outer layer has a 2 ft vestibule for storing some of the lighter items.
Luxe Tempo 2 Person 4 Season Tent
- Good size vestibules
- Good rain protection
- Quality build
- I don’t like touching the ends with my head or feet so If you are over 5 ft 10 tall you may find it a little short
My Initial Thought: The Luxe Tempo has a packed weight of 5.7 lbs the included accessories consist of two guy lines 12 aluminum stakes so you have a complete package.
Constructed from water-resistant 210T highly breathable polyester and a mesh roof which provides good ventilation in warm weather. These materials are of good quality and durable.
- For reliable protection, the rainfly offers sound water resistance with a ripstop 3000 mm PU coating.
- A bathtub tent floor will keep you dry from any groundwater and eliminating rainwater from entering under the tent.
- Reinforced tent corners can sustain constant and long term pressure for wind blowing and other forces.
Check this out
The tent floor measurements are 51 in x 82.6 in and the height in the center of the tent is 43.3 inches giving ample space for two people, your bedding and supplies.
The vestibules provided when the tent is set up offer protected storage and space that also comes in handy while the poles that hold up the front door is a nice touch of extra shade
GEERTOP Backpacking 2 Person 4 Season Tent
- It’s a strong tent that can hold up even during gale force winds
- As a 4-season tent, it is a convenient one-off purchase for any outdoor lover
- Strong and reliable waterproof material
- The zippers are not as strong as I thought they should be
My Initial Thought: Weighing 6.4 lbs, this backpacking tent might not be the most lightweight option out there, but it’s still lightweight enough to make it easy to carry with you even on a long day’s walk.
Durability is important
The material of a tent is at the heart of both its construction as well as its performance. And that’s where the waterproof 210T anti-tear polyester material that this tent is made of comes into play.
- Besides, this material also turns out to be excellent at UV-resistance and the ability to shed off the snow as well as rain.
- This two-person backpacking tent from GEERTOP is built to be with you through any season of the year, thanks to its 4-season design.
Size is essential when it comes to tents, and with this one having been built for two, it’s very roomy, measuring 82 inches by 102 inches by 45 inches on the outer layer, and 78 inches by 55 inches by 41 inches.
And when packed, this tent packs pretty small at only 17.3 inches by 6.7 inches by 6.7 inches.
This combination makes it a perfect tent for couples or friends who love to explore the outdoors together, thanks to sufficient room and reliable all-year-round performance.
The other great features that you won’t want to miss in this tent include the easy one-person setup design, outer tent fly, as well as a robust tent floor sheet, free-standing poles, mesh windows, and two vestibules. Read my full review Here.
GEERTOP Portable 4 Person 4 Seasons Tent
- There’s plenty of space for up to 4 people and your gear.
- It is a tough tent built to last and with weather-resistant materials.
- It comes with 2 entrances for privacy.
- It has a thin floor material and the seams could leak easily.
My Initial Thought: Camping is great when you have the right tent, but carrying it can be a real struggle if it’s too heavy.
Thankfully, GEERTOP put all that into consideration when making this tent, which is why it has been built to be a lightweight option (at 9.1 lbs) to make your trip more fun.
Besides the lightweight design, the material that this tent is made of is also awesome.
Made with breathable, yet rainproof 210T breathable polyester for the inner tent, it delivers a perfect combination of both comfort and reliability.
- Also worth mentioning is that it comes with a robust 210T anti-tear checkered polyester fly-tarp and a 210D Oxford fabric floor.
- Measuring an impressive 94.4 inches by 82.6 inches by 53 inches, this tent is spacious enough to accommodate almost the whole family, without compromising the comfort or convenience that you would want in a tent.
- Speaking of size, it’s also worth keeping in mind that this tent is roomy enough for up to 4 people.
- It is a great option for anyone who loves to go backpacking along with their family or a couple of friends.
Everything you need
But these are not all the perks you are going to get with this tent, as you will also love its other features.
These include the 4-season (thanks to a snow skirt and breathable construction) design, no-see-um mesh panels, quick and easy set up.
2 windows and 2 entrances for great airflow, and ventilation, also storage pockets as well as vestibules for extra convenience.
HILLMAN 2-Person 4-Season Ultralight Tent
- Robust construction with anti-snow, anti-sediment outskirts, an anti-wind, and anti-rain build for four-season performance
- It has a breathable construction for comfort
- Built to last thanks to double stitching and anti-tear design
- This tent lacks ventilation, so you will have to keep the door open for airflow
My Initial Thought: HILLMAN has become a popular name among outdoor lovers for its awesome outdoor gear.
This lightweight 2. kg tent is definitely a go-to option if you are an outdoors diehard. It’s not only super lightweight, but it is also every bit as easily packable.
Space to move
To ensure you have enough room to store your stuff or move about, this tent is spacious enough at 210cm by 120 cm by 100 cm.
- This brings us to the number of people that this tent can accommodate, and thankfully enough, it offers enough room for two.
- This should definitely come in handy if you usually camp as a couple, or along with your friend.
- It is roomy enough for the two of you, yet lightweight and easy to set up.
Quality all together
The material of this tent is yet another thing that makes it really worth checking out. It has 360T nylon grid cloth with a 20D coated PU waterproof design that helps protect you from heavy rain, storms, and snow.
And that’s not all this tent has to offer, as it also packs in other great features such as durable silicone fabric, a breathable double-layer design as well as aluminum pole design.
Simply the Best 4-Season Black Diamond Eldorado Tent
Best Budget Tent Luxe Tempo 2 Person 4 Season Tent
Best 4 person Tent Eureka! Assault Outfitter Four-Person.
Questions and Answers
Q. How do I know which tent to pick?
It all comes down to where or when you intend to use your tent. For instance, if you are always on the road, then a 4-season tent should be a great option. Also, the number of people who will be taking shelter inside the tent counts.
Determine the season and the environment you are going into to guide you to the best and wisest purchase of your new tent. If you are not camping in extreme conditions a good 3-season tent will be sufficient and usually much more affordable.
Q. Is a waterproof tent better?
Getting wet and your gear becoming soaked while outdoors can be both inconvenient and quite uncomfortable. As such, it’s important to ensure you get a tent that can keep you dry even when you find yourself in the middle of an afternoon deluge.
Make sure to check whether it has the right waterproof material, bathtub floor, and, preferably, a rain tarp as well. Something I do with all my tents is to seam seal all joints and seams to increase the rain protection.
Q. How to choose the best size
Most camping enthusiasts believe that bigger is better in the world of tents, and I agree. You can (and you should) always make sure the tent you select best fits the number of people that will be taking shelter in there.
You don’t want to purchase a 2-person tent just because there are 2 of you if you and your partner will be using it plus you intend to store your gear inside, it is always wise to go up at least one size. eg: A 3-4 person tent will provide good space for 2 people plus gear.
Q. What other features should I look for in a tent?
Tents come with a long list of features that play various roles at keeping you safe, warm and dry. But besides the most important ones, there are a few, usually overlooked features such as vestibules and wall pockets that you should also keep an eye on.
Others include a hook for your lamp, a rain fly and a carry bag, all of which come in handy at some point. Weight may also be crucial depending upon your mode of transport.
The outdoors is a beautiful place to be, but mother nature can be unpredictable and can catch you by surprise if you’re not well prepared. Whether it’s a sudden storm, gale force winds, snow, or simply those pesky bugs, you will need a way of protecting yourself, your loved ones and your gear.
Thankfully, a tent gets all that done, but only if you are lucky enough to find a tent that’s built with your needs for comfort and convenience at heart. That’s exactly what the tents in this post are designed to deliver, so you can confidently go ahead and check them out. Make the right choice depending on your needs or preference.
If you have any more questions about the best 4 season tents, I’ll be more than happy to answer them in the comments section below.
For more exceptional tents for your next backpacking adventure read my Best Ultralight Backpacking Tents article that will give you more information
Remember! Leave it cleaner than you found it, only footprints not rubbish.