I had a recent email asking me, What Is A Tent Cot and the simple answer would be an arrangement of a small tent on a metal frame sitting over the top of a cot.
This Article Was Last Updated On February 19, 2021
This type of shelter is literally what its name claims it to be: a combination of a tent and a sleeping cot. A camping trip is one of the best things that you can do to relax and unwind from all the noise of living in the city.
However, without a proper shelter, it’s easy to pass on the idea of going overnight out in the wild. Besides, if you are camping single and alone the idea of assembling a large tent may be more than you need.
Note: As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I get a small commission from the seller at no cost to you, and you get a great deal. It’s a win-win, I hope you enjoy my article. Full Affiliate Disclosure Here
The comfort and the convenience you get from a tent cot is amazing. Plenty of space, lightweight, and an enclosed private area all to yourself, what more could you want.
More and more campers are using tent cots over actual full-sized tents. With a tent cot, you will have that portability that allows you to easily bring it anywhere you stop for the night.
So if you’re looking to elevate your next outdoor overnight trip in the woods, stick around as I will give you a more in-depth look at what a tent cot is. I will be providing you all the things that you have to know when it comes to this camping gear.
So, What Makes A Tent Cot?
Well, a tent is a shelter mainly used while camping and other ourdoor overnight adventures. It consists of a canvas or other fabric daped over a series of poles ar other metal frame to protect you from the elements.
A cot on the other hand is a small lightweight portable sleeping bed that is extremely popular in camping and temporary bedding outdoors where a more permanent larger bed like the one at home cannot be used.
Let’s marry these two very useful items together and you end up with a tent cot. They are becoming extremely popular as their ease of use and convenience as a fully covered bed are recognized.
Again, like what its name suggests, a tent cot is basically an elevated outdoor sleeping mat (cot) with a roof and walls like that of a tent, which keeps you protected from all sorts of weather while keeping the biting insects at bay.
Compared to regular tents, this camping gear is much more compact, lighter, and easier to transport. Aside from its lightweight, it is also portable. Most of them are foldable in nature, which makes them perfect for when you hit the road.
One of the best features about a tent cot is that they are super easy to set up. When it comes to assembling it, just a few simple manuevers will have your bed and shelter setup in seconds.
The single bed configuration weighs around 25 pounds and one person will fit comfortably inside. The carrying capacity is 300 pounds. If you like a bit of room to move the oversize version may be a better choice.
Benefits of Using a Tent Cot
- One thing that you should certainly look for when choosing a temporary shelter outside is the amount of comfort that it could give you when you sleep or try to relax during the day.
- Tent cots are great in this area since it is elevated around 11 inches off the ground. That means you don’t have to endure sleeping on sharp pebbles or worrying about bugs crawling inside your sleeping space.
- Other than that, you still have the other qualities of any regular tent: heavy-duty nylon materials, no-see-um mesh on the windows and doors that can be zippered to keep out the bugs but still allow a nice airflow throughout.
- They can also be used as a lounge chair in camp during the day as a comfortable seat. Going out, enjoying the peace of nature all the while not sacrificing your comfort when you relax and sleep? That’s definitely a plus.
- Now you might think that having an elevated sleeping space might bring more dangers like perhaps your tent cot accidentally collapsing while you are sleeping.
- But don’t worry, the heavy-duty powder-coated aluminum frame is strong and stable and will last for many years. The tent frame and poles are made of strong and durable materials.
- Besides, cots are manufactured with your safety in mind. They have a carrying capacity from around 300 pounds right up to the large double units that can handle up to 600 pounds of weight.
- Pack your tent cot inside the heavy-duty carry bag when not in use and simply throw the thing in the back of the truck for easy transport.
- Another good thing with tent cots is the fact that other than their portability, they are very easy to set up. Tent cot designs are foldable in nature, which means putting it up shouldn’t be a problem for anyone.
- They are also easy to carry around and transport within their very own carry bag so go ahead and bring comfort wherever you go. Enjoy nature without sacrificing that much-needed comfortable sleep at the end of the day.
- In addition to its portability, this type of camping equipment is also pretty light. A single tent cot from Kamprite is around 25 pound while the oversize unit comes in at around 32 pounds. One thing to avoid while going on a camping trip is bringing heavy gear if possible.
- After a long day of travelling then walking to your camping spot, and then finally preparing all that you need for your overnight stay, reducing the weight of what you are bringing will make everything much easier for you.
- Just bring this light equipment with you on your trip, set it up with ease, and then finally take all the time that you want and need to relax inside it. Elevate your camping experience with this excellent equipment.
Perfect for various types of weather
Who wouldn’t want a tent that is capable of withstanding different sorts of weather right? Most tent cots are built with waterproof fabric, plus most of them have their own rainfly which will help keep you and your bedding dry when the heavens open up.
Having the assurance that you will be safe even during strong winds is definitely a plus when you are looking for a temporary shelter during your camping trips. Tent cots have additional straps that keep the structure stable and in place.
With the strength of the materials used in the frame, paired with the highly durable fabric used in its body, you can sleep without worrying about your safety from the unpredictable weather.
Where Can I Use Tent Cots?
Although tent cots can be used virtually anywhere, its most ideal spots are areas with level ground. That doesn’t mean you cannot use this camping gear on rocky terrain though.
It’s just much better if you set it up somewhere the terrain is even. This type of tent has its own stand, elevating you from the ground. But if the distribution of weight is not balanced because of an uneven base, there’s a chance that you might topple over while you are inside the tent.
Even if tent cots are manufactured with stability in mind, it is still better to choose a place where you are really sure that your tent would stand firmly, it will also be a better sleep if you are not rocking on any uneven ground all night long.
Can anyone just use this gear?
Absolutely yes! Even if you don’t have that much experience in setting up tents or camping in general, you can still easily assemble this tent. This type of shelter is ideal when car camping.
It is light and portable, so you don’t really need to stress out when carrying this equipment around. Besides, most tent cots don’t really take up a lot of space in your luggage when it is in collapsed form, so you don’t have to worry about that either.
If you are a seasoned camper who likes to camp in extreme winter weather, tent cots might not be the best option for you. Although technically you can still use this type of tent, perhaps a good quality 4 season tent would be much more suitable in that type of weather.
Are They Worth The Price?
Price-wise, I believe they are more than affordable to anyone who desires good gear while outdoors, what they give in comfort and security in the form of reliable shelter and bedding is worth what you will have to pay.
In conclusion, tent cots are sort of a heaven-sent innovation for campers who wants to go out in nature while still having a comfortable shelter to rest in at night. They have been gaining a lot of positive feedback and are also hot in the market right now.
In my opinion there’s no doubt that tent cots are worth every dollar you spend on them.
Pro tip though: try looking for a product that offers a warranty so that you can have that guaranteed help if you encounter a problem or if this kind of tent is really just not for you.
But you will only know if you actually try it, right? I can only do so much by providing you all the necessary things that you need to know with this type of tent. In the end, it all boils down to your experience in using it.
So go visit your local supplier and try out a few tent cots, and see for yourself how much this camping gear may help you when camping out.
If you have any more questions on What Is A Tent Cot, I’d love to hear them and I’ll be more than happy to answer them in the comments section below.
For some great choices and an amazing range of quality tent cots with a lot more information for your next adventure read my post on the Best Tent Cots For Camping.
Remember! Leave it cleaner than you found it, only footprints not rubbish.